Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Corona virus border closures

Post by Milad »

Not just rumors, the border is closed and the entire town of Taftan quarantined. I would GTFO there.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/c ... an/1743616
1 x

DylanGeorgeField

Post by DylanGeorgeField »

I'm planning a RTW motorbike trip from Melbourne > London in a month. I found this thread and planned to go SE Asia > India > Pakistan > China >Kyrgystan > Tajik > Kazhak > Azerbaijan > Iran > Europe (Italy)

Given the border closures, it seems unlikely I'll make it by October.

A tour company said it should be fine by 3 months however, it's a huge gamble.
1 x

Plutos Tour

Post by Plutos Tour »

Today, 28.02.2020, we (#Plutostour) travelled from Iran to Azerbaijan. The border to Azerbaijan is open (national border Astara).

The officials in Azerbaijan have been measuring our temperature for almost 30 minutes again and again. We were not allowed to get out of the car. So make sure that your temperature is below 37.5 degrees, if you want to cross this border. They also asked us quite exactly about our route in Iran.
2 x

pete5330

Post by pete5330 »

Hello guys,

Just read the official akipress testimony about the corona virus measures in kyrgyzstan.

I'm flying 25th of may to Osh, then crossing the border to tajikistan and start the pamir highway. I'm from Holland, and for now we have 2 cases of corona confirmed.

The testimony from aki press says the following about this:
Citizens of the countries, where less than 10 coronavirus cases were confirmed, when crossing the border into Kyrgyzstan will be held under observation within 3 days.

Anyone has any idea what this means?? Kyrgyzstan is closed for the citizens of south korea china etc, but do I really have to be in some sort of quarantine when I arrive in the country??

Thanks in advance!

Rick
0 x

mhedayati

Post by mhedayati »

Plutos Tour wrote:Today, 28.02.2020, we (#Plutostour) travelled from Iran to Azerbaijan. The border to Azerbaijan is open (national border Astara).

The officials in Azerbaijan have been measuring our temperature for almost 30 minutes again and again. We were not allowed to get out of the car. So make sure that your temperature is below 37.5 degrees, if you want to cross this border. They also asked us quite exactly about our route in Iran.
Were you Iranian citizens or ... ?
Would it be the same if you were Iranian citizens?
0 x

Plutos Tour

Post by Plutos Tour »

mhedayati wrote:
Plutos Tour wrote:Today, 28.02.2020, we (#Plutostour), a Swiss couple, travelled from Iran to Azerbaijan. The border to Azerbaijan is open (national border Astara).

Were you Iranian citizens or ... ?
Would it be the same if you were Iranian citizens?
0 x

Plutos Tour

Post by Plutos Tour »

No, we are Swiss. I don't know how it would be with an Iranian passport. But friends told us, when appliying for an Azerbaijan visa, you can not anymore choose Iran citizienship.
0 x

DoubleDutch

Post by DoubleDutch »

Turkey also closed its border with Kurdistan. The Kurdish border with Iran was already closed. Since Syria and Iraq aren't an option anyhow, all overland borders are closed now. (Yes, we are stuck in Kurdistan at the moment.)
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Uzbekistan has just closed its land border with Afghanistan. It has also stopped any flights from Iran, Afghanistan and Italy.
1 x

Jon67

Post by Jon67 »

pete5330 wrote:Hello guys,

Just read the official akipress testimony about the corona virus measures in kyrgyzstan.

I'm flying 25th of may to Osh, then crossing the border to tajikistan and start the pamir highway. I'm from Holland, and for now we have 2 cases of corona confirmed.

The testimony from aki press says the following about this:
Citizens of the countries, where less than 10 coronavirus cases were confirmed, when crossing the border into Kyrgyzstan will be held under observation within 3 days.

Anyone has any idea what this means?? Kyrgyzstan is closed for the citizens of south korea china etc, but do I really have to be in some sort of quarantine when I arrive in the country??

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Hey Rick,
I will be on your tail if you don't mind 😉
24th of may I will leave Bishkek and than go to Osh and also take the Pamir highway, than north of Caspian Sea, Turkey, Ukraine and Belarus. Destination Nothcape and than back home to Zaandam.
I also have my concerns about closed bordercrossings.
Yes, they probably like to monitor your health for a few days I think? I hope we get as much as information here as possible, but also hope that the Corona will be under control at the end if may. Makes travelling a lot easier.
Stay in contact via PB?

Jon
1 x