Coronavirus: when can we start traveling again?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
sebhoff

Re: Coronavirus: when can we start traveling again?

Post by sebhoff »

In March last year I wrote that we might be able to travel again in April 2021 - but added the word "probably", suggesting it might only be in April 2022. At the moment, I'm guessing it could be somewhere in between...
My travel aim for the year is to be on a train in one of the Stans in September (after receiving the jab in summer). Let's see whether that'll work out... ;-)
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

I'm planning to start cycling again in April from Turkey towards central Asia.
Will have to see how it works out with all the countries and border restrictions.

You should be very flexible in your planning if you plan to travel 2021.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

danyvb

Post by danyvb »

steven wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:38 pm
When can we start traveling again? It's the logical next question.

I don't think anyone in the world knows the answer, but I am interested in hearing your opinions. Chime in below.

Coronavirus updates at https://caravanistan.com/coronavirus/
on her bike is riding again in africa but asia and turkey is a whole different story coming from belgium i think
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

At the moment i can fly into Istanbul and make my way to Kurdistan.
I will go for 2-3 years and have all the time, will go together with a cycling mate so we will see.
Just have to wait till spring ☺
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I put up some predictions for 2021 and beyond: https://caravanistan.com/letter-from-th ... edictions/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Whatever the reason may be for apparently low infection rates, I think it's virtually impossible that herd immunity is the answer. It's likely that 80-85% or more of the population has to have been infected in order for there to be herd immunity, and if that many people had been infected the death count would be staggering (especially given the level of medical care one can expect in the region).
1 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Steven, I don't think your prediction about "If you make it to Central Asia in 2021, you can be certain you’ll have the place to yourself" applies to Kazakhstan.
Last season when the virus was in KZ most popular touristic destinations were crowded with tourists. Locals mostly, but anyway.
Now restrictions get easier in KZ so I guess it'll be the same - crowded destinations.
In KZ foreigners should be ready to share their destinations and hostels with locals. Can be a cultural shock or interesting experience))

Don't know about other Central Asian countries but in Kazakhstan locals seem to travel inside the country more than before. Thus, enough guides, drivers, hostels, organized tours, etc. But lack of English speaking stuff.
1 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Rick, my very personal opinion is it's useless to think and plan exactly your trip right now.
Now is the time of spontaneous and flexible travellers.
Because situation changes frequently. Border opened, airline starts flights, then catch the flight and go. All suddenly closed, then be ready to change your initial plan on the way.
And also travellers need more money now for travelling, canceled flights, paid quarantine, prolonging accommodation in case if stuck somewhere. So better have extra budget.
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

I start with a tour with a friend around april starting in Turkey, hopefully Iran will open ontime.
Follow couple people online and travel is just like Julia is stating, be flexible.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks for the comments on my predictions! I think you make a good point Julia, I did not think about locals traveling. I think it's only in Kazakhstan, though, not really in the other Stans - I don't see many Dushanbe residents driving up to the Pamirs!

@bwv812: about herd immunity, you are absolutely right of course, I also don't believe 80% of people has been infected. But I think a possible explanation could be that "some kind of" herd immunity has taken place: in other words, that maybe 25% (just a random number) of the population has already gotten it. Otherwise, I can't really explain it. Every day people are having superspreader events: parties, weddings, funerals.

But I agree, it's badly worded. I better delete that statement, since it's not really based on any scientific opinion anyway. I will just leave it as "unexplained".

Gotta double-check the Tajikistan border info.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D