Soomar-Mandali border

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
bamboo

Soomar-Mandali border

Post by bamboo »

Hello,

Anyone here crossed this border before (Iran-Iraq)? I can't find much information about this border crossing except that it's been reopened for trading between Iran and Iraq, not sure about tourism :| but it takes only 2.5hr from Mandali to Baghdad. I think it's the closet border to Baghdad, but more than 8 hrs from Tehran to Soomar.

Regards,
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Soomar-Mandali border

Post by Milad »

it's been reopened for trading between Iran and Iraq, not sure about tourism
At the moment, Iraq does not allow anyone to enter except persons having an imperative reason to travel, and Iran is not issuing tourist visas, meaning you cannot go there anyway. While these restrictions are in place, questions about certain border crossing points are entirely academic.
1 x

bamboo

Re: Soomar-Mandali border

Post by bamboo »

Hi Milad,

Well, I am not planning to go anywhere during this pandemic anyways but excited to plan for future trips after this pandemic ends (hopefully soon).
0 x

shebhi

Re: border crossing -kuwait-iraq-iran-turkmenistan

Post by shebhi »

hi,
i am an indian national and working in uae.i would like to da road trip in bike to india .for that i need to cross kuwait-iraq-iran-turkmenistan.this i am planing in 2022(after the pandemic.so i need experts advice regarding which border i can choose to crossings.and the advices while riding in these countries.
0 x

murg

Re: border crossing -kuwait-iraq-iran-turkmenistan

Post by murg »

shebhi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:52 am
...working in uae...road trip in bike to india .for that i need to cross kuwait-iraq-iran-turkmenistan...
Hi, why don't you take the ferry to Iran and proceed through Pakistan to India?
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany