Karakoram Highway solo female traveler: safety?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
bamboo

Karakoram Highway solo female traveler: safety?

Post by bamboo »

Wild Frontier offers a perfect departure date and destinations that match my needs

Wild Frontier Karakoram Highway

However, the price is quite high. It has increased from $5900 to $6630. Is it possible to travel on the Karakoram Highway and to these destinations alone without a guide? As a solo female tourist, I'm concerned about safety especially in Pakistan. I'm thinking to break this journey into small parts. I'm quite confident to travel alone in India, but not sure about Pakistan and Kashmir area given the territoral conflicts between China and India recently.
0 x

murg

Re: Karakoram Highway solo female traveler: safety?

Post by murg »

Hi Bamboo,

lot's of questions in one post ;) maybe you should consider breaking them down into several posts.

I travelled Xingjang by motorbike.... A guide is needed/mandatory.
I met some cyclists who didn't seem to have a guide.....Cannot answer the question.

For the amount you have mentioned you could easily travel in a group of 3 from Kirgistan to Lahore through China. 10 days. Fuel, accommodation, guide and food included.

Regarding Pakistan.
We felt safe (reg. violence/threats) almost all the time
Only in/around Gilgit we felt uneasy... riding into an anti american demonstration.
No actual harm, only a general feeling.
Some kids 'played' shooting at us, without guns, or imposing to throw stones.
Of course we were incognito, wearing motorbike helmets, but the motorbikes where standing out.

Anyway, Border to Gilgit & after leaving Gilgit til Lahore, really friendly people, even the cops were kind.

I would not want to go on public transportation, have seen some 'stunt' bus drivers who should be jailed (or worse) asap.

India/Kashmir.
Be very careful what you wear and where you go.
Do not leave your guesthouse after dark.
I am semi Indian and have lots of relatives in Delhi. They say the same.
Kashmir conflict.... That one is easy. Simply avoid going further north than Srinagar.

Hope that helps a bit.

Enjoy your preparation

Dave
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

bamboo

Re: Karakoram Highway solo female traveler: safety?

Post by bamboo »

murg wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:39 pm
Hi Bamboo,

lot's of questions in one post ;) maybe you should consider breaking them down into several posts.

I travelled Xingjang by motorbike.... A guide is needed/mandatory.
I met some cyclists who didn't seem to have a guide.....Cannot answer the question.

For the amount you have mentioned you could easily travel in a group of 3 from Kirgistan to Lahore through China. 10 days. Fuel, accommodation, guide and food included.

Regarding Pakistan.
We felt safe (reg. violence/threats) almost all the time
Only in/around Gilgit we felt uneasy... riding into an anti american demonstration.
No actual harm, only a general feeling.
Some kids 'played' shooting at us, without guns, or imposing to throw stones.
Of course we were incognito, wearing motorbike helmets, but the motorbikes where standing out.

Anyway, Border to Gilgit & after leaving Gilgit til Lahore, really friendly people, even the cops were kind.

I would not want to go on public transportation, have seen some 'stunt' bus drivers who should be jailed (or worse) asap.

India/Kashmir.
Be very careful what you wear and where you go.
Do not leave your guesthouse after dark.
I am semi Indian and have lots of relatives in Delhi. They say the same.
Kashmir conflict.... That one is easy. Simply avoid going further north than Srinagar.

Hope that helps a bit.

Enjoy your preparation

Dave
Hi murg,

Thanks for you reply. It's helpful to know :)
0 x