Azerbaijan - Nakchivan corridor

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Azerbaijan - Nakchivan corridor

Post by steven »

As part of the peace agreement after the 2020 war over Nagorno-Karabakh, it has been agreed that a corridor would be made between Nakchivan and Azerbaijan.

The details are not clear yet. If you know of any news in this regard, please offer your pearls of wisdom below!

We summarize all travel knowledge at the Azerbaijan border crossings page.

There are also forum threads about border crossings between Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Koen

Re: Azerbaijan - Nakchivan corridor

Post by Koen »

Wondering how they would get a corridor, as Armenia will not give up the access to Iran.
couldn't find anything on the web about how this would be established.

When I was there, you only see the old fortified railway along the border of Armenia.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I would agree this idea is fraught with difficulty. The territory would remain Armenian, but Azeri's would be allowed to use a road running through it without passport control, that's how you should see it, I think.

Eurasianet asks some poignant questions https://eurasianet.org/in-karabakh-deal ... as-answers (scroll to the end, there is a map as well).

I imagine it's not for anytime soon, but thinking that someone would sooner or later ask a question about it, I thought I'd beat them to it.
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

haha always good to beat those people.

This corridor will be a nightmare to have in their country, will see how that will work out.
wonder why it's in the agreement, as Armenia territory there is international recognized.
Probably Azerbaijan had lot's of leverage in the agreement and asked this otherwise they would just take all of Nagorno-Karabakh.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Koen wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:16 am
Probably Azerbaijan had lot's of leverage in the agreement and asked this otherwise they would just take all of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Armenia had their backs against the wall.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

I recently read that Azerbaijan Railways wants to use the agreement to rebuild/reactivate the old railway Zangilan-Meghri-Julfa, which runs right next to the Iranian border both in Azerbaijan and Armenia, used to be a part of the rail line Moscow-Tehran in Soviet times and was closed after the collapse of the Soviet union. There are existing railway lines from Zangilan to Baku and from Julfa to Nakhchivan city. A railway instead of a road would certainly be much easier to control for the FSB and Armenia. The drawback is that a small stretch of the railroad was destroyed to build the Khoda Afarin dam, they'd have to build a way around, and the topography is not easy...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Interesting article on the new geopolitics of trade corridors in the region after Armenia's defeat. Wins for Russia, Turkey and China, defeat for Georgia, Iran. - https://armenianweekly.com/2021/01/13/t ... r-armenia/
0 x