Tajikistan Corona travel restrictions / e-visa issues Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
pete5330

Tajikistan Corona travel restrictions / e-visa issues Q&A

Post by pete5330 »

Good day everyone,

Just read Steven's predicitions on the website, and I think you're right, it's all very difficult to predict how the situation will be. I'm still planning the Pamir Highway (already delayed it twice because of Covid). It's now set for end of August, starting in Osh, and ending in Osh.

However, just found this article on the website of the US Embassy in Dushanbe.
https://tj.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

They say the border is open for US Citizens. I think this will be airport only though.
Kyrgyzstan is open, so this wouldn't be a problem, except for the insurance. Perhaps we take an more expensive expat insurance than..

Hoping this situation will improve with the vaccinations, here in the Netherlands I'm hoping to be vaccinated before summer.

Maybe there will be something possible in combination with PCR tests (they're not that expensive in Central Asia I just read...)

Interested what you guys think,

Regards,

Rick
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Coronavirus: when can we start traveling again?

Post by steven »

Regarding Tajikistan: IATA says only Tajiks and Turkish are allowed in. Land borders are closed, I am quite certain.

So not sure about who is right here: IATA or US State department.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Coronavirus: when can we start traveling again?

Post by steven »

However, just found this article on the website of the US Embassy in Dushanbe.
https://tj.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

They say the border is open for US Citizens. I think this will be airport only though.
Regarding Tajikistan: IATA says only Tajiks and Turkish are allowed in. Land borders are closed, I am quite certain.

So not sure about who is right here: IATA or US State department.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Coronavirus: when can we start traveling again?

Post by bwv812 »

Well, given that airlines consult IATA and not the US State Department when letting people board, it doesn't matter if the State Department is right because they're not going to let you on the plane regardless.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Tajikistan Covid re-opening Q&A

Post by steven »

While the IATA website says "Passengers are not allowed", our partner in Tajikistan says the following: Airports are open. Travelers can fly in to Tajikistan through Dushanbe Airport via Turkish Airlines and flyDubai.

The main problem is obtaining an (e-)visa. We can handle the issue through our partners' contacts -get in touch if you need one. Land borders remains closed. From Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan it is open but Tajikistan customs do not let in and out.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Some foreign hunters (AKA tourists with guns) have been going to Tajikistan over the winter, in and out of the airport in Dushanbe. Of course, they pay a lot and they have a well-connected local company handling everything for them. From what I see, it's an early morning arrival and straight to the mountains the same day. So it seems that tour companies (or at least a few of them) can get the visa, and their clients can ignore any 14-day quarantine requirements. But I can't imagine who, other than a hunter, would want to visit in winter... So it's a rather small number, I'm sure.

I'm just waiting for the day when countries start announcing their tourist entrance policies for vaccinated people...
0 x

pete5330

Post by pete5330 »

Same for me here Christian77.

Waiting for the land borders to open. The good news is that Uzbekistan is open as is Kyrgyzstan.
Tajikistan is always a little bit different, but hopefully things change soon.

Maybe this news article may shine a different light.
https://www.rferl.org/a/president-decla ... 69590.html

We will never know though.
0 x

rredan

Post by rredan »

According to Asia Plus head of Sughd province told yesterday that Tajikistan will open land borders only when there will be no new cases of Covid-19 in both, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. Source: https://asiaplustj.info/ru/news/tajikis ... h-grazhdan
0 x

pete5330

Post by pete5330 »

Great news, due to the fact that kyrgyzstan has a decreasing nr of cases as well as Uzbekistan. Whatever the true numbers of cases are (probably not the truth), but maybe land borders will open then in summer.
0 x

04Morley

Post by 04Morley »

Does anyone know if it is still possible to apply for visas at the moment? I understand land borders are closed but there are rumours it is possible to fly into Dushanbe. Thanks.
0 x