Drive your own car into Iraqi Kurdistan.

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
paudearara

Drive your own car into Iraqi Kurdistan.

Post by paudearara »

Hi everyone!

I am planning a Silk Road trip from Istanbul to Vladvostok 2 years from now, with our own vehicle.

I've seen many reports of safe driving in Iraqi Kurdistan with rental cars, but havent found anything about driving your own car into Iraq.

My plan is to drive from Iran into Iraqi Kurdistan and then back to Iran to proceed eastwards.

Does anyone have any experiences in this regard?

Cheeers,
0 x

adi

Re: Drive your own car into Iraqi Kurdistan.

Post by adi »

I did go there late 2019 by bus. But the idea came from some youtube videos I had watched from a guy who drove with his banged up car and cat. Thus if you understand German you get a first hand report (beware that "reporter" is a bit into conspiracies). My report with links to the 5 videos on page 15, footnotes 14 and 15.
2 x

paudearara

Post by paudearara »

Unfortunately I am not a german speaker... but thanks for the reply!! cheers
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

If it is youtube, it may offer a translate function.

At the time (2012) it was only possible to enter from turkey side, as the Iranian side was only for residents of Iran and Iraq. So please check this.
Because of that and time constraints we didn't do it.
1 x