Travel Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Lugan Kuz

Travel Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Post by Lugan Kuz »

Hi
This summer (if covid restrictions get lifted) I'm planning a trip that goes from Russia to Armenia through Abkhazia and Georgia. My plan is to arrive to Sukhum from Rostov with the Moscow-Sukhum night train, spend like 2 days in Sukhum and then cross the border at Inguri to continue my travel through Georgia. I'm Russian but I hold a Spain passport.
Is it actually possible to do this??

Please let me know about this.
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Travel Russia-Abkhazia-Georgia

Post by sebhoff »

As far as I know, this is not possible. You need to leave Abkhazia the same way you entered it. Since Georgia considers Abkhazia their own territory, entering it from Russia and moving on to (the rest of) Georgia means that you have in their interpretation illegally entered Georgia.
The only way to get to Armenia overland would be to travel via Kazbegi (or, of course, Azerbaijan), assuming the borders re-open for international tourists.
Sebastian
2 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Totally impossible, if you try, it may well get you arrested, fined and deported to your home/passport-issuing country.

The other direction is generally possible, although problems when re-entering Georgia later cannot be ruled out.
1 x

isma_t

Post by isma_t »

Hi just to let you know, I applied for Abkhaz visa with Spanish passport and I received an email days later saying tourism now is not possible at all. But I applied for Georgia-Abkhazia-Georgia so maybe Russia-Abkhazia-Russia (multiple entry Russian visa needed :s ) could be less problematic but wouldn't count on it.
0 x

Lugan Kuz

Post by Lugan Kuz »

In that case, that means I can do the same trip but the other way around. Which means entering Abkhazia through Inguri and leave to Rostov by train. Am I right?
0 x

isma_t

Post by isma_t »

If you enter from Inguri and head to Sochi you will have problems with Georgian authorities if you ever visit Georgia proper again - exiting Georgia though an illegal outpost is a crime.

Regardless, I tried very hard to organise for Abkhazia for June (even called the embassy in Moscow) and tourism is not allowed due to the pandemic, they aren't even processing tourists visas. :(
0 x

Lugan Kuz

Post by Lugan Kuz »

Having problems with Georgian authorities won´t be possible, because I wouldn´t be traveling to Georgia anytime soon after that. The important thing to know is if it is possible
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

It is totally possible, I know someone who did this. But keep in mind that problems when re-entering Georgia are possible even years later.
0 x

frunze

Post by frunze »

isma_t wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:58 am
If you enter from Inguri and head to Sochi you will have problems with Georgian authorities if you ever visit Georgia proper again - exiting Georgia though an illegal outpost is a crime.

Regardless, I tried very hard to organise for Abkhazia for June (even called the embassy in Moscow) and tourism is not allowed due to the pandemic, they aren't even processing tourists visas. :(
Since he has a russian passport, all he needs to do is enter Georgia with his Spanish passport after it, as there will be no way they can determine he entered Abkhazia through Russia.
0 x

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Well, but they can, because the Spanish passport will have a missing entry stamp for Georgia... working with two passports doesn’t solve the problem in this case.
0 x