Georgia coronavirus travel restrictions Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Yahyah

Georgia coronavirus travel restrictions Q&A

Post by Yahyah »

Hello,

I am new on this forum so first of all, thank you for creating it!

I am planning a 2 month trip for this summer. I am from France and I will be fully vaccinated more than 2 weeks before the beginning of this trip. I am trying to understand if the land border between Armenia and Georgia is open for international travelers because the information I found seem contrdictory.

Does anyone have updated information?

Thanks a lot!

Yahyah
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Border Armenia - Georgia

Post by sebhoff »

This is just a few hours old...: https://agenda.ge/en/news/2021/1393
Georgia is opening its land borders on June 1, 2021 after more than a year-long closure due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Individuals will be admitted through the land borders of Georgia with evidence of full vaccination and negative PCR test results or alternatively only with a negative PCR test result taken within the last 72 hours. A follow up test three days after entry must also be taken.

Visitors to Georgia are required to have health insurance, which can be acquired either in their countries of residence or in Georgia.
Sebastian
0 x

Yahyah

Post by Yahyah »

Thank you very much for your reply. That would be great!

If I understood well, the border from Georgia to Armenia is already open. Do you confirm?

Have a good day!
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Well - that's not what it says. ;-) Today is the 26th of May (incidentally, Georgian independence day), and the text on agenda.ge says borders will open on the 1st of June.
I don't know about any special (earlier) arrangements relating to the border with Armenia - but I haven't followed this in detail. In any case, since you're only planning to travel "this summer", it doesn't really matter as this is post-1st-of-June anyway.
Sebastian
0 x

Yahyah

Post by Yahyah »

Sorry, I was not clear. I understand from the link you posted that Georgia will authorize travelers to enter into Georgia by land as from the 1st of June.

I am also wondering if Armenia authorizes travellers to enter into Armenia by land (because I have not decide yet what will be my itinerary). I understood from my own researches that the Armenian land border is already opened since January 12, 2021: "According to the amendments of the Government Decree № 1514-N which entered into force on January 12, 2021 restrictions on the entry to the territory of the Republic of Armenia for persons arriving from foreign countries have been canceled and now all arriving persons (RA citizens and citizens of foreign countries) are permitted to enter the territory of the Republic of Armenia both via air and land borders" (https://www.gov.am/en/covid-travel-restrictions/).

I wanted to know if anyone entered into Armenia recently by land (just to be sure that the land border is really open).

:)

Yahyah
0 x

adi

Re: Georgia coronavirus travel restrictions Q&A

Post by adi »

I spent 3 week in May in Georgia.

Experience on arrival: PCR-test and passenger locator mail are checked at the passport counter. One is advised that if not fully vaccinated a further test after 3 days is compulsory. I did not bother. The relevant health authority actually telephoned my Georgian contact twice about this. (She lied and said, me being reliable I undoubtedly did the test. :roll: ) The fine for breaking regulations is 2000 Lari (not “up to” - the lot = 500 €). Not wearing a mask costs 20. Nobody cared, most people wore them around the chin and pulled them up under the nose (Georgian's noses are generally quite large :twisted: ) when entering supermarkets or government buildings. In 3 weeks nobody ever approached me for not wearing my mask (properly). In only one instance a bus driver warned off another passenger (who was very drunk as well).
Cheap paper masks will do, FFP2 masks are almost never seen. Some shops or museums do check your temperature on entry.

The curfew (then 23.00-5.00) was rather strictly adhered to. Scam alert: as most flights arrive too late in Tbilisi airport the taxi mafia has introduced a special 65 Lari “curfew fare” which is twice the normal price.

Restaurants (limited hours) and shops are open. Beware that shared accommodation (hostels) must remain closed. Many hotels are also temporarily (?) closed for lack of customers. On the other hand I got some great rebates in Batumi in middle class hotels (50 and 66% respectively).

Of course one needs another PCR test to be allowed on the flight home.

A list of labs countrywide is on the government CoVid site. PCR tests do cost 150-250 Lari (40-65 €), I did find a cheaper one (apologies for the commercial) called NeoLab where they test for 85 Lari. Branches in Batumi anf Tiflis. The latter is a bit out of the center (near Iranian embassy). If you make an appointment they even test Sundays. English spoken, cash very much accepted. I got an email after 16 hours. For a signed printed result (necessary for the airline) you have to come back 24hrs later. As I understand it all tests are entered into a national database.

PS -- just found this (22. June): “Georgia will lift its seven-month-long nationwide curfew starting July 1, Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili announced following the June 22 Inter-Agency Coordination Council meeting. Also, wearing face masks outdoors will no longer be mandatory starting today. Restrictions will remain on restaurants, bars, and other food and entertainment facilities, which will be allowed to operate only until 00:00 after the curfew is canceled. Face masks also remain obligatory in indoor public places, public transport, and bus stops.
National Center for Disease Control chief Amiran Gamkrelidze said COVID-19 epidemiological situation has “slowly” begun to improve in Georgia following a third-wave peak in May. But the senior health official appealed to the public to be cautious. “Even though [wearing a] face mask will not be mandatory in outdoor spaces, it is still recommended,” Gamkrelidze stressed.” (Source)
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Excellent report! Thank you!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

barakamonk

Post by barakamonk »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here at Caravanistan :-)

Currently writing this from the beautiful mountains around Kapan, Armenia, very close to the Iranian border.
We (2 Spanish travelers from Madrid) have been on the road with two classic 250cc motorbikes since October 2020.

Despite overstaying our visa in Turkey by 3 extra months --which landed us a hefty ∼€200 each fine for our motorbikes and for ourselves-- the only places where we had to show PCR at the border were: Bosnia i Herzegovina, Georgia and Armenia. Of course, the rules and restrictions for many of the countries have changed during these last months. Turkey does require it now, while it didn't when we entered in November 2020.

So, Georgia:

We were there for almost 3 months, June-September 2021. As tourists we had 365 days permit to stay in the country, but our motorcycles only had 90 days, that's why we left for Armenia a week ago.

On entering from Turkey only a few days since land borders were re-opened on June 1st 2021, we pre-registered online and presented negative PCR tests from public Turkish Hospital (250 liras each if I remember correctly). QR code was not readable due to bad printing (low toner) but Georgian authorities were OK and granted us entry after warning us about the need to make a new PCR test within our first 3 days, which we also didn't bother, and the need to buy obligatory insurance, which we did.

On exit, though, Georgian custom officer DID IN FACT ASK for the 3-day PCR, but we just said we didn't have it with us anymore. Guess when you are leaving a country, they don't really care that much, but we noticed at all border crossings that both countries usually help each other by making sure you have all necessary documents regarding Covid before exiting so they avoid complications to their colleagues on the other side. Just like airline companies do before you board a plane.

In order to enter Armenia, we also presented our PCR negative tests which were hardly looked at once and never asked for again by the different officials. Interestingly, at the Sadakhlo border crossing, on the Armenian side, there is a small testing lab recently opened where you can be tested and wait there at the parking for your result. 15.000 DRAM if I remember correctly.

Hope the information helps someone looking to travel this region at the moment -- fingers crossed Iran will reopen someday, or Azerbaiyan!
:P
3 x

elgranviatge

Post by elgranviatge »

Hi all,

Here our experience crossing today 27/10 from Sarp/Hopa (Turkey) - to Sarpi (Georgia) by land:

For vaccinated people: Vaccine certificate + negative PCR 72h before arrival (except any person traveling from India).
For UNvaccinated people: Negative PCR 72h before arrival + entry form + repeat PCR the 3rd day at your own expense.

Entry Form: https://registration.gov.ge/pub/form/8_ ... ia/tk6157/

If you travel by sea, same rules apply.

If you go by plane, there is no need for a negative PCR if you are vaccinated.
If you are not, check the requirements/exceptions at the link below.

Official source: https://stopcov.ge/en/page/sazRvris-kveTis-regulaciebi

Things at the border were smooth at both sides, good english from the officials at both passport controls. There is an exchange office just before the Georgian Passport Control, but there are a lot more just outside crossing at Sarpi. Take the bus 16 to Batumi for 1 GEL.
2 x

adi

Post by adi »

For vaccinated people: Vaccine certificate + negative PCR 72h before arrival (except any person travelling from India).
Just a quick note: if arriving by air, NO PCR test, just vaccination certificate.

Cost for PCR tests in Tbilisi have come down significantly since May. As of early Nov. several small testing stations can be found scattered over the city charging between 65-75 Lari (less than € 20). 50-Lari tests I have heard rumored.

In Yerevan (Armenia) up to 15000 Dr. (€ 27), 9500 Dr (€ 17)if you shop around a bit.

I should point out one set of CoVid-victims: Hostels. Many simply disappeared.
1 x