Overland border crossing from China

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
XavierV

Re: Overland border crossing from China

Post by XavierV »

Hi all,

Well, roughly 2 years after my first message in this chat, I finally decided to move forward with this trip! It involved quitting my fancy job & EU company for good, and therefore took some time for self introspection.
For those wondering, exiting China is not an issue anymore (currently I’m on a working visa), China is reissuing tourists visa too (see other posts)

Departure from Beijing on the 20th of May, to the Khorgas boundary with Kazakhstan (with a Chinese motorbike), grabbing my French motorbike in Almaty for the rest of this 4-5 months trip Back to France.
0 x

royalenfield

Post by royalenfield »

good luck with the trip Xavier! can we follow your progress somewhere?
0 x

XavierV

Post by XavierV »

Thanks, I will probably publish a website which I’m still working on. I’ll post it once done ;)
0 x

Lagerfeld

Overland border crossing from China

Post by Lagerfeld »

royalenfield wrote: . . . good luck with the trip Xavier! can we follow your progress somewhere?
I wish you also good luck and full success. And I want to follow your travel too.
0 x

Charky

Post by Charky »

XavierV wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:35 pm
Hi all,

Well, roughly 2 years after my first message in this chat, I finally decided to move forward with this trip! It involved quitting my fancy job & EU company for good, and therefore took some time for self introspection.
For those wondering, exiting China is not an issue anymore (currently I’m on a working visa), China is reissuing tourists visa too (see other posts)

Departure from Beijing on the 20th of May, to the Khorgas boundary with Kazakhstan (with a Chinese motorbike), grabbing my French motorbike in Almaty for the rest of this 4-5 months trip Back to France.
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for these very helpful information.
I'm also planning a trip across Central Asia and China. Can you confirm that the Khorgas boundary is open for foreigners? And do you also know if it's possible to enter in China through Kazakhstan (arrival by land, not by air). I fear to be blocked at the border.

Thanks
0 x

XavierV

Post by XavierV »

Charky wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:45 am
XavierV wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:35 pm
Hi all,

Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for these very helpful information.
I'm also planning a trip across Central Asia and China. Can you confirm that the Khorgas boundary is open for foreigners? And do you also know if it's possible to enter in China through Kazakhstan (arrival by land, not by air). I fear to be blocked at the border.

Thanks

Hi,

Not fully sure yet, but I guess it should be all fine. I’ll debrief once reaching this point ;)
0 x

XavierV

Post by XavierV »

I didn’t post many thing in here, but the trip has started!! Now getting in the mountains of Qinghai after an epic 2nd day, 600km away from beijing (police, breakdown of my bike, coffee and rillettes on a service area, electric tow truck, 650km&14h hide and seek with charging station) 😂
Now I’m on my way to Kazakhstan.

You can follow there: https://myownjourney.fr
(With videos replay of the trip if you have some time to waste 😉: click on the country down the screen, then on the play button)
Or even easier, Insta: xavier.vauvelle
0 x

XavierV

Post by XavierV »

Just to confirm: I passed by the Khorgas border between China and Kazakhstan on the 8th of June 2023, no issue whatsoever. It seems that it’s also possible on the other way around (few trucks passing by, to be confirmed for person)
0 x