Uzbek-tajik-afghan land borders open?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
561durden

Uzbek-tajik-afghan land borders open?

Post by 561durden »

Hi all, looking for the most upto date information if anyone has any?

Looking to go from Uzbekistan to Tajikistan, then to Afghanistan and onwards to Pakistan. I will be there in 2 weeks. Does anyone know which land borders will be open? I called Tajikistan embassy and they said can only enter the country by plane. Is this accurate? No way to "pay extra" somewhere? Maybe it's better I fly Dushanbe than back to Uzbekistan and go to Afghanistan through termez border, I read somewhere it's open and fairly safe just now?

Also it's possible to get a fast visa in Dushanbe for Afghanistan?

Thanks very much!
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Re: Uzbek-tajik-afghan land borders open?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

I don't know if you follow the news, but this just happened in Kunduz province, Afghanistan, right on the border with Tajikistan.
Taliban captures Afghanistan’s main Tajikistan border crossing

Some security forces abandon their posts and flee across the frontier as the Taliban seizes Shir Khan Bandar crossing.

The Taliban has captured Afghanistan’s main border crossing with Tajikistan, an Afghan provincial official and army officer said on Tuesday, with some security forces abandoning their posts and fleeing across the frontier.

The seizure of Shir Khan Bandar, in the far north of Afghanistan about 50km (30 miles) from Kunduz city, is the most significant gain for the Taliban since it stepped up operations on May 1 when the US began the final stages of its troop withdrawal.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/2 ... r-crossing

I would seriously question the wisdom of going overland from Tajikistan into Afghanistan at present. And even Afghanistan-Pakistan (via Khyber I suppose?) isn't something I would personally do.
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

Koen

Post by Koen »

khyper pass is long time closed for foreigners, probably with new situation, corona and withdrawal of troops it's still closed?
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

561durden

Post by 561durden »

AreWeThereYet? wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
I don't know if you follow the news, but this just happened in Kunduz province, Afghanistan, right on the border with Tajikistan.
Taliban captures Afghanistan’s main Tajikistan border crossing

Some security forces abandon their posts and flee across the frontier as the Taliban seizes Shir Khan Bandar crossing.

The Taliban has captured Afghanistan’s main border crossing with Tajikistan, an Afghan provincial official and army officer said on Tuesday, with some security forces abandoning their posts and fleeing across the frontier.

The seizure of Shir Khan Bandar, in the far north of Afghanistan about 50km (30 miles) from Kunduz city, is the most significant gain for the Taliban since it stepped up operations on May 1 when the US began the final stages of its troop withdrawal.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/2 ... r-crossing

I would seriously question the wisdom of going overland from Tajikistan into Afghanistan at present. And even Afghanistan-Pakistan (via Khyber I suppose?) isn't something I would personally do.

Okay I understand. Im willing to go into a risky situation etc, but obviously do not want to enter sheer Taliban only territory.

I am happy to go to khorog to cross but i am struggling to find information on whether this border is currently open for land crossing, and obviously do not want to commute such a long way just to be turned away and loose time. My other option is through Termex in Uzbekistan. But its the same deal, Struggling to find recent information about the crossing.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I am not certain, but it's my understanding that the Khorog border is still closed for the ordinary tourist.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

I crossed from Uzbekistan into Afghanistan mid-May at Termez and it was a smooth and simple process. To be honest I’m not sure what the situation at the Termez/Hairatan crossing is at this very moment but news I’d received from friends in Mazar e Sharif last week was that the city is essentially surrounded by Taliban- so I’d recommend contacting one of the local Afghan operators (Let’s be Friends Afghanistan, Gul Baizada, etc) and ask them if the crossing is feasible right now.

As for Tajikistan, fast forwarding to now, I’ve just arrived into Khorog from Dushanbe and I’m hearing that the border is still closed and that there is no signs of it reopening to foreigners any time soon (I’m sure the recent events over at Shir Khan Bandar aren’t helping either).

As for visas, most consulates/embassies are now (as of 2021 at least) requiring a LOI from a registered operator in order to get a visa. I’ll ask around if the consulate here in Khorog is open and running/issuing visas though.
1 x

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Checked with the Khorog consulate and they are not issuing tourists visas. I am in Wakhan Valley (Tajik of course) right now and the border is not opened (the bridge gate is shut and locked). Doesn’t look to be opening any time soon.
2 x