Pamir Highway & Taliban offensive 2021

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

20,000 Tajik soldiers deployed to Tajik-Afghan border

Post by Christian77 »

That's what the government claims is happening: https://khovar.tj/2021/07/1ta-ti-rayosa ... or-gardid/

I doubt their capabilities to move, supply and feed that many soldiers. So, in the usual Tajikistan formula, expect 10-30% of that number. But at the very least there will be a massive (compared to usual) security presence on the roads that follow the border, including the Pamir Highway.
2 x

robert

Re: Taliban take Ishkashim (Wakhan)

Post by robert »

Where did they announce that?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

On their official media channels. Depending on the country you live in, and your use (or lack thereof) of a VPN, you probably don't want to be clicking any links.

No need to take their word for it, it's been confirmed by plenty of sources on the ground in Afghanistan, and across the border in Tajikistan. The remaining Afghan security forces fled across the border to Tajikistan, aside from some in customs, who were told by the Taliban to stay at their posts.
2 x

Colin_o

Pamir Highway & Taliban

Post by Colin_o »

Hi travelers,
we are planning to cycle the Wakan Valley and M41 up to Kirghizstan starting next Tuesday July 13th (and probalby turn back after if the land border crossing rules does not change) but we just learnt the events in the north of Afghanistan, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57720103
Any opinion on the safety of such trip that is going along the Afghan border such a long way ?
Many thanks for insights
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

They might have entered Wakhan corridor untill Qala Panja, opposite Yamchun fort.
If it appears to be true, don't you think tajik authorities could close to foreigners the road on their side ?
1 x

StephParis

Re: Tajikistan Corona travel restrictions / e-visa issues Q&A

Post by StephParis »

My bet : tajik authorities could prevent you from going along Panj river. But that's only a "bet", and I'd very curious to hear your voice from the ground.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I would expect exactly that. They've closed the road/area to foreigners numerous times over the last decade for a variety of reasons.

But there are not exactly a lot of tourists in-country right now to get any info on attempts to enter GBAO.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Colin_o wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:04 pm
Hi travelers,
we are planning to cycle the Wakan Valley and M41 up to Kirghizstan starting next Tuesday July 13th (and probalby turn back after if the land border crossing rules does not change) but we just learnt the events in the north of Afghanistan, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57720103
Any opinion on the safety of such trip that is going along the Afghan border such a long way ?
Many thanks for insights
I wouldn't worry about my own safety. But I would worry about riding a bicycle all the way to Shurobod pass (GBAO entry checkpoint) to find out that they don't want foreigners on bicycles camping along the border right now. It would be nice if they made announcement, and if there were consistent rules. But they aren't.

If you are not worried about skipping sections, maybe hire a driver to take you and your bikes to Kulob, and then ride up the hill to the checkpoint? That's one way to find out quickly if you will be allowed to enter.
1 x

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan »

Not sure if Tajikistan Tourist Police is still operational nowadays but it is may be worth trying to get in touch with them while on Tajik ground.

More info in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=34813#p34813
1 x

Colin_o

Post by Colin_o »

Many thanks for all the info. Contacting the tourist police to see if they have any recommandation/idea of what's the atmosphere on the border these days.
1 x