Tajikistan - Uzbekistan crossing at Panjakent

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Artan

Re: Tajikistan - Uzbekistan crossing at Panjakent

Post by Artan »

Anyone that can confirm this border is open again?
0 x

dk2022

Post by dk2022 »

Hi, I crossed two days ago, the Samarkand-Penjakent border was open. Full report:

https://travelbeforethecrowds.com/how-t ... an-border/
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

That direction was always open. The question is whether they have opened up the reverse direction into Uzbekistan.
0 x

Artan

Post by Artan »

Just to confirm the border from Panjakent to Samarkand is open again. We had a very smooth crossing two days ago (Dutch passports).
2 x

seamouse

Post by seamouse »

thanks to all the information and post here, I got a smooth crossing yesterday morning, 2nd of March 2023, with China passport.
1. taxt from guesthouse near to Registon to Kaftarxona bus station, 5000som(Yandex show 8000, but the owner of hotel let me canceled it, then change to taxt at his door)
2. Kaftarxona to border, 20000 som by shared taxi.driver there gave a price 30000, I bargain for 20000, then immediate OK, then easily to get full then leaving. just no place for luggage, I hold my suitcase around 40 mins at front seat.
3.border crossing, really nice officers in both sides. some guys change som to somoni at Uzbekistan border with in time rate.
4.border to Panjakent by shared taxi,fixed price,20somoni.
there is a T-cell shop for sim card at Tajikistan border side, 110somoni for 10G. but during my time, it's no electricity. So I got sim card untill Panjakent.
US dollar is really useful, I didn't have before crossing, the Samarkand hotel owner is so kind, changed all his 120 USD to me.
4 x

Palu

Post by Palu »

I crossed this border from Samarkand to Panjakent a week ago, no issues whatsoever.

I was hitchhiking. In order to get out of town. I took a city bus N12 near the Shohinzinda bus station to a big roundabout pass Tayloq. Yandex maps shows this bus line as 12 and only till the bypass, but that's wrong. Here's the location of the bus station:

https://yandex.com/maps/org/avtostantsi ... 7372171711

The bus stop is not inside the bus station, it's on the southern section of the main road. From Tayloq I had a free lift to the border within a minute.

I changed my leftover Uzbek som to somoni on the Uzbek side, I haven't seen any official place, there was just one guy changing money. The exchange rate was acceptable.

The border crossing itself took maybe ten minutes in total. No questions asked and on the Tajik side all four customs officials were so glued to their smartphone screens they didn't even notice me passing by, I didn't have to scan my luggage.

After hitching to Panjakent I changed USD at the office inside the bazar. There are at least three Tcell shops near the bazar where you can buy a SIM card and internet plan. They will register you as well with your passport. I'm not 100% sure if my IMEI was registered though, I got SMS messages about me being not registered from Tcell but when I visited the website mentioned in those messages and typed my IMEI it said my device is whitelisted. Maybe a glitch.

Anyways the border crossing was smooth. Enjoy Tajikistan!
0 x

rainest

Post by rainest »

More or less unremarkable going from Dushanbe to Samarkand.

Share taxis did not find passengers quickly at the Dushanbe station around noon (I overslept). The first driver I approached eventually gave up and passed me on to a car with more passengers. That driver passed me on to another going to the border checkpoint in Panjakent since I was the only person going to the border. The info page maybe describes this as a scam but it seems fine--the Dushanbe>Panjakent driver paid the Panjakent>border driver and carried my luggage over, so it seems like a normal enough way to just let them fill cars or start a return trip more quickly.

Tajik side asked if I had a visa to (presumably) see if I needed to have registered (I didn't). Uzbek side mistook my camera for a drone and wanted to manually inspect luggage, but basically just confirmed that it wasn't a drone.

The bank kiosk on the Uzbek side doesn't buy somoni, only USD and other major currencies, but there are plenty of informal money changers outside.
0 x

bridge

Post by bridge »

hi there. May I ask if it is easier to go from Samarkand to Dushanbe or the other way round from Dushanbe to Samarkand? I am asking in terms of ease of getting drivers. I am planning to visit Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, but am not sure which one to cover first.

I am also mindful that international flights in and out of Dushanbe are infrequent. Thanks in advance!
0 x

Susetterosso

Post by Susetterosso »

Today I have crossed this border coming by motorbike from Samarkand towards Dushambe. They charged me a fee for entering the country with the motorcycle of $10 (I paid with 1000 rubles). They show a printed regulation... but not the currency to pay. They gave me a receipt. They registered absolutely nothing on the motorcycle.
1 x

beyondtwowheels

Post by beyondtwowheels »

Yes they also charged me 10usd and i pay in somoni when i enter panj e payon from shir kan bandar afghanistan.
0 x