Tajikistan - Uzbekistan crossing at Panjakent

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
manttila

Re: Tajikistan - Uzbekistan crossing at Panjakent

Post by manttila »

We crossed today (21.7.) from Samarkand (UZ) to Panjakent (TAJ), and onwards to Dushanbe by car. No problems at all. Some statistics:

Taxi from Registan/Samarkand to UZ/TAJ border: 40 USD in cash, private car.
Border by walking: ~35 mins in total (from taxi to taxi). No PCR test asked, no COVID certification asked, no mention of COVID whatsoever. They did not check the UZ (accommodation) registration slips, but we tried to give them.
Taxi (private car for two) from TAJ border to Dushanbe center: 65 USD, and 3 h 55 min. We didn't really try to negotiate the price.
Finnish passports.
0 x

ericlo729

Post by ericlo729 »

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE in Panjakent crossing, and I am sorry to say I will never go to Tajikistan again and advise anyone NOT to go there.

I crossed the border on 21 Jun night / 22 Jun around 12am, this was a totally unacceptable terrible experence. I have travelled to 75 countries and NEVER encountered this kind of terrible experience.....NEVER!!!!!!!

Due to the situation reported in May in Pamir highway, I changed my plan, my flight from Almaty to Dushanbe arrived at around 14:00 on 21 Jun and I passed the border control with my visa very smoothly, and after visiting the city centre in Dushanbe for 2 hours, I immediately took a shared taxi to Panjakent and arrived at the border at around 12:00. All I wanted at that time is to cross the border quickly and go to Samarkand.

At first the gate is closed and a border officer speaking good english (scammer A) come out and told me to wait for 15 minutes, then after a few minutes he opened the gate and asked me to go in, pretening to be a good guy. I supposed to walk to the building ahead for taking my exit stamp. However A stopped me and asked if I have the required documents, the passport, the visa and.....migration card (!!!!!). I did a lot of research and did not notice this requirement, and first I doubted if this is required because i did not receive any paper or any document requiring me to fill when I enter the Tajikistan this afternoon. I told A I searched online and did not see such requirement, and A just said i dont care about what being said on the internet, this is the requirement and if you dont have you need to go back to Dushanbe airport to get back (which is 4 hours car ride). I reinstated it is not a requirement but he insisted, told me he need to kick me out if I dont have.

After a few round of conversation in stress and worries he mentioned he is trying to help me, and i need to pay 50USD to the border control in the room ahead. Until now I know it is a scam and i can't reject coz its already mid night. So he let me walk ahead to the building.

In the building it was another series of stupid conversation, and I was scared as fxxk in these 30mins. I intentionally not mentioning about the migration card A mentioned. But the border officer (scammer B) asked me a number of stupid question, trying to keep me here until I pay the money. He asked where i go next then where next, then where next then where next...and I needed to tell them my travel plan 20 days later. And he even asked my father's name. He then mentioned my visa is not valid and gave me a face as if i am in deep trouble. I told him I entered your country this afternoon and your border officer in the airport stamp on my visa also, how come my visa is not valid. He ignored and just give me the same face and keep me here, finding way to scam me.

Finally he found A and I knew here comes the 50 USD again. He come to the room and pretended to be a good guy again. Then I have no way other than paying him 50USD, he even mentioned its my willingly offer to them, not their ask.

Finally i got the exit stamp. And in Uzbekisten border it was all smooth and it was quite a crelief to hear him say with similing face "Welcome to Uzbekistan!"

In summary
1. It was a terrible experience, not just money, but all stress and scariness in that 30mins
2. I will never go to Tajikistan again and advise anyone NOT to go there.

Lesson learnt
1. Don't go to Tajikistan again
2. Don't cross border at time when there is no other people crossing, especially land border

You may think that I am generalizing, and there must be good people in the country. But sorry, as the officer, and wearing official custom of that country means that you are representing the country. so what you do represent your country. I will NEVER forget this terrible experience.

If anyone knows anyway I can file a complaint, please tell me.

Attached is the corssing stamp.
Attachments
Tajikistan stamp.jpg
Tajikistan stamp.jpg (70.49 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
0 x

Viatger360

Post by Viatger360 »

I recommend you to copy paste your post and send embassies, you can find emails and contact on ministry of foreign affairs. I regret to listen to that.

Marhsutka samaraqand panjakent is not 5000 but 10000 (some pay 8000) but we're drops before)

Border to Dushambe ask for 150 but in a car of 6 people 100. From panjakent station to Dushambe 100.

My advice take the car which is ready to go if it's to panjakwnt take it and then shared taxi to Dushambe many drivers fighting for passengers

Good travels
0 x

orlandpol

Post by orlandpol »

interesting information
0 x

borekj

Post by borekj »

We crossed yesterday from Panjakent to Samarkand. Czech passport holders, no problems at all, just nice small talk. No question for OVIR or covid-19. Took less then half an hour in total. From Panjakent, we hitched a ride for free, to Samarkand we paid 40000 (3 people + backpacks).
0 x

wombad

Post by wombad »

I was somehow concerned about this post but I crossed the border both ways during the last 2 weeks and had no problem at all, way easier and more professional than many EU borders. It can take from 15 to 30min. Samarkand to the border by van (damas, 10ksom), Panjakent to the border by shared taxi (15somoni).

I understand your feelings and I'm sure it was a very unpleasant situation. Maybe you encountered someone who had a bad day or who was indeed unprofessional. In my humble opinion it is unfair to blame a whole population for it. From my own biased experienced, I found most Tajik people to be lovely and would recommend any person to go there, always with gratitude and respect.

ericlo729 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:14 am
TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE in Panjakent crossing, and I am sorry to say I will never go to Tajikistan again and advise anyone NOT to go there.

I crossed the border on 21 Jun night / 22 Jun around 12am, this was a totally unacceptable terrible experence. I have travelled to 75 countries and NEVER encountered this kind of terrible experience.....NEVER!!!!!!!

Due to the situation reported in May in Pamir highway, I changed my plan, my flight from Almaty to Dushanbe arrived at around 14:00 on 21 Jun and I passed the border control with my visa very smoothly, and after visiting the city centre in Dushanbe for 2 hours, I immediately took a shared taxi to Panjakent and arrived at the border at around 12:00. All I wanted at that time is to cross the border quickly and go to Samarkand.

At first the gate is closed and a border officer speaking good english (scammer A) come out and told me to wait for 15 minutes, then after a few minutes he opened the gate and asked me to go in, pretening to be a good guy. I supposed to walk to the building ahead for taking my exit stamp. However A stopped me and asked if I have the required documents, the passport, the visa and.....migration card (!!!!!). I did a lot of research and did not notice this requirement, and first I doubted if this is required because i did not receive any paper or any document requiring me to fill when I enter the Tajikistan this afternoon. I told A I searched online and did not see such requirement, and A just said i dont care about what being said on the internet, this is the requirement and if you dont have you need to go back to Dushanbe airport to get back (which is 4 hours car ride). I reinstated it is not a requirement but he insisted, told me he need to kick me out if I dont have.

After a few round of conversation in stress and worries he mentioned he is trying to help me, and i need to pay 50USD to the border control in the room ahead. Until now I know it is a scam and i can't reject coz its already mid night. So he let me walk ahead to the building.

In the building it was another series of stupid conversation, and I was scared as fxxk in these 30mins. I intentionally not mentioning about the migration card A mentioned. But the border officer (scammer B) asked me a number of stupid question, trying to keep me here until I pay the money. He asked where i go next then where next, then where next then where next...and I needed to tell them my travel plan 20 days later. And he even asked my father's name. He then mentioned my visa is not valid and gave me a face as if i am in deep trouble. I told him I entered your country this afternoon and your border officer in the airport stamp on my visa also, how come my visa is not valid. He ignored and just give me the same face and keep me here, finding way to scam me.

Finally he found A and I knew here comes the 50 USD again. He come to the room and pretended to be a good guy again. Then I have no way other than paying him 50USD, he even mentioned its my willingly offer to them, not their ask.

Finally i got the exit stamp. And in Uzbekisten border it was all smooth and it was quite a crelief to hear him say with similing face "Welcome to Uzbekistan!"

In summary
1. It was a terrible experience, not just money, but all stress and scariness in that 30mins
2. I will never go to Tajikistan again and advise anyone NOT to go there.

Lesson learnt
1. Don't go to Tajikistan again
2. Don't cross border at time when there is no other people crossing, especially land border

You may think that I am generalizing, and there must be good people in the country. But sorry, as the officer, and wearing official custom of that country means that you are representing the country. so what you do represent your country. I will NEVER forget this terrible experience.

If anyone knows anyway I can file a complaint, please tell me.

Attached is the corssing stamp.
1 x

Keirgallagher

Post by Keirgallagher »

We have heard from someone who recently crossed the border in the past few days that that there is a sign there saying the border will be closed indefinitely from 5 September due to "construction works". Is anyone able to verify this, or does anyone have any information as to when it may reopen?
1 x

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I heard from my tour guide based in Panjakent that the border is closed from 5th to 16th September - other local tour operators have been told this morning. I'm therefore having to reroute my trip to Khujand instead, which is a pain. Speculation is that it's linked to the conference taking place in Samarkand between Putin and Xi on the 15th-16th September.
1 x

jvjjjvvv

Post by jvjjjvvv »

Caroline wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:47 pm
I heard from my tour guide based in Panjakent that the border is closed from 5th to 16th September - other local tour operators have been told this morning. I'm therefore having to reroute my trip to Khujand instead, which is a pain. Speculation is that it's linked to the conference taking place in Samarkand between Putin and Xi on the 15th-16th September.
God that was close...I have to cross tomorrow because I fly out of Tajikistan on Sunday...if the border had closed while I were here, I would have lost an awful lot of money because of all of the flights that I would miss...
0 x

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan »

A short translation. Border is closing for renovation and modernisation :)

На контрольно-пропускном пункте (КПП) «Джартеппа» на границе с Таджикистаном установлено временное ограничение передвижения граждан и транспортных средств.
Об этом сообщает интернет-издание daryo.uz со ссылкой на региональное таможенное управление.
Причину временного закрытия пограничного таможенного поста объясняют капитальным ремонтом зданий КПП и благоустройством территории с целью «создания большего комфорта для пассажиров».
По данным издания, ограничение касается как граждан, так и транспортных средств.
"Исключение составляют:
- сотрудники дипломатических служб и международных организаций,
- члены официальных (государственных) делегаций,
- сотрудники иностранных организаций, осуществляющих деятельность в рамках реализации инвестиционных проектов,
- водители, осуществляющие международные грузоперевозки,
- граждане Узбекистана и Таджикистана, возвращающиеся в свою страну
- граждане третьих стран, направляющиеся в Таджикистан", - передает издание.
Между тем, многие СМИ связывают временное закрытие КПП с предстоящим саммитом ШОС в Самарканде. Ранее Узбекистан закрыл местный аэропорт на 3 дня и перенес начало учебы в школах и вузах на 19 сентября.
При этом в УВД Самаркандской области опровергли информацию в соцсетях и некоторых СМИ о перекрытии всех дорог во время саммита и сообщили, что «при необходимости ограничения движения на некоторых улицах города Самарканда, информация будет опубликована на официальных страницах Управления».
Напомним, Самарканд принимает саммит ШОС 15-16 сентября.
0 x