Azerbaijan-Turkey Border Crossing in Nakhchivan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Marko52

Azerbaijan-Turkey Border Crossing in Nakhchivan

Post by Marko52 »

I’ve seen some comment/questions about whether or not the Nakhchivan-Turkey border is open.It is.
I made the crossing from Nakhchivan to Turkey Dilucu customs post on 8 May, pretty much without incident. But don’t make the mistake I made, which was to let my taxi go at the entry point to the AZ border post. Which left me with no way to cross the No Man’s Land between AZN and Turkish customs. You need to keep your vehicle and driver, who undergo a fairly perfunctory physical check whilst you walk through the border exit routine, and then hook up again to go the last mile. I’d have been stranded pretty much forever but for the help of (what looked like) the senior AZN border cop, who more or less commandeered me a lift to the Turkish side.

Once there, travellers without vehicles were practically in the “fast lane”, as the private vehicle traffic looked to be flowing like glue. I was told that is typical of a Saturday or Sunday, when AZN residents of Nakhchivan flood into Turkey for bargain shopping. There were no major processing issues, although the Turkish border cop seemed unable grasp that the Turkish E-visa is actually good for multiple entries during its 90-day validity period. As he was eventually advised from on high.
To get to Nakhchivan I had to fly to Nakhchivan City rather than go by road because one still needs an Iranian transit visa to take the bus, and I hadn’t time to get one. The AZAL flight is painless and pretty cheap at 70 Manat, and offers at least 3 departures daily. Overall, I found it a pretty useful way to see some of Turkey on my way to Georgia.
3 x

AdventureAttitude

Re: Azerbaijan-Turkey Border Crossing in Nakhchivan

Post by AdventureAttitude »

Did you have an eVisa in advance. I just want to rock up to the border tomorrow. But now i hear eVisa is obligated..
0 x

AdventureAttitude

Post by AdventureAttitude »

Do not cross!! since the 1st of July 2022 the border is 100% CLOSED again. I can personally confirm this I had my visa all the right paperwork and test. But the Turkish border guards would NOT let me pass. I tried for 2 hours to reason with them. One of the most pointless days out of my travel history. So disappointed, but Azerbaijan has cited the PANDEMIC as a reason for the closure.

There's not news or articles outside of this reliable source:
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D