Oybek - Buston (UZ-TAJ) border crossing

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
oblastdiskomo

Re: Oybek - Buston (UZ-TAJ) border crossing

Post by oblastdiskomo »

missmax8 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 am
Yesterday, crossed the Oybek border from UZ -> TAJ. They didn't ask for PCR, nor vaccination. Crossing took 15 minutes.
Shared taxi from Tashkent -> border: 30'000 UZS per person
Shared taxi from border -> Khujand: 50 TJS per person
Thanks, that's really helpful because I need to do the same journey in early June. Not sure if the direct bus will be running on the day I need it and, even if it is, getting into Khujand around 22:00 is a bit of a pain.

Where in Tashkent did you get the taxi to the border please? And did you have to wait long for both shared taxis to fill up or were you traveling in a group?

Thanks!
0 x

missmax8

Post by missmax8 »

From Kuyluk bazar in the south of Tashkent (gps coordinates in the article of Caravanistan). We were 2 travelers, we didn't wait as both taxis filled up right away in our case (4p taxi in Uzbekistan, 7p taxi in Tajikistan).
1 x

oblastdiskomo

Post by oblastdiskomo »

I crossed the border today. It took about 3.5 hours from getting to Kuyluk bazaar to getting dropped off at my hotel in Khujand.
I paid 50,000 Uzbek som for the shared taxi from Tashkent to the border (it was too much but I had 60,000 left and was leaving the country so couldn't be bothered to haggle) and then 50 Tajik som from the border to Khujand.
Border crossing took about 40 mins. On the Uzbek side, they asked to see my registration slips. He just flicked through them rather than looking comprehensively. On the Tajik side, no mention of PCR test but they did want to see my proof of vaccination.
Overall, no issues, it all went pretty smoothly
0 x

Falco

Post by Falco »

Hello all, are there any new reports on whether proof of a PCR test must be shown at the border?
0 x

cm2022

Post by cm2022 »

Hi Falco

We crossed yesterday (Irish and UK passports). No PCRs required, and they didn't look at our vaccine certificates. Overall the border was a pretty smooth process - we crossed at about 11am.

Saw a couple of money changers on the UZ side but not many on TJ side. We got a shared taxi to Khujand for 50,000 Uzbek som / 50 Tajik som (per person).

Enjoy your time in Tajikistan!
0 x

Falco

Post by Falco »

Hi cm2022,

Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

We crossed the border ourselves today. The border itself was not a big deal. At Tajikistan side of border they asked us about our visum. We mumbled something like visa on arrival and it was fine. But of course we will now try to register at the OVIR office.

We travel with two bicycles, so we always had to pay more for taxis. I hope we payed a fair price and not to much.

From Tashkent to the border we payed 200.000 UZS (Taxi with only us and two bicycles).
From the border to Khujand we payed 25 USD (Taxi with only us and two bicycles).
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

Crossed this border recently coming from Tashkent, precise location of the shared taxis to the border in Tashkent is here.
Nothing corona-related was asked for, there was a health official on the Uzbek side sitting around with nothing to do, none on the Tajik side.
It might be worth to leave the border area to get a shared taxi, as it took a while inside the border area for a 7-passenger van to fill up at TJS 50 per seat.
1 x

elhabibi

Re: Tashkent (UZ) to Khujand (Tajik.) by bus

Post by elhabibi »

JULY 2022 Update This bus now runs every day at 4:00 PM from the Toshkent Avtovokzal and seems like a reliable solution to cross the border. The line is serviced by a 22 seat mini bus and they had AC turned on during most of the ride.

The bus left at the scheduled time with only 7 passengers, this was on a Wednesday. During the weekend it's advised to be at the station 2hrs before to make sure you get a seat.

The cost was: 103000 Uzbek som. They also accept card payment, there was an ATM outside in the parking lot in case that fails for you.

At the time of writing this post, no one at the border was asked for a PCR test in the Tajik side, even tho it's officially requested by the Tajik authorities.

Transit time: ~ 4h 40min, around 1h and 15min we spent at the Oybek border.
Attachments
20220727_151352.jpg
20220727_151352.jpg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
3 x

Viatger360

Re: Tashkent (UZ) to Khujand (Tajik.) by bus

Post by Viatger360 »

please and info about this bus from khodjand to Tashkent?!? I truly need it! Thanks in advance
0 x

Poney

Post by Poney »

We crossed yesterday the border (15/08/2022) and it was really easy. Uzbek authorities didn't ask for hotel's registration, they stamped our passport very quickly, the same in the Tadjik side.
We paid 40 000 soum per person from Tashkent (quliuq bazar, under the highway bridge inder construction) to Oybek in shared Taxi, it takes 2 hours approximately.
There is an office to change money to tadjik somoni, the rate for euro was 1€=10 TJS
From the Tadjik side of the border we paid 50 TJS per person to Khodjent in a car with backpack on the rear seats.
1 x