Merke - Kaindy (KAZ-KGZ) railway border crossing

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
RollingTreeHouse

Merke - Kaindy (KAZ-KGZ) railway border crossing

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

Didn't see any thread about the only Kyrgyz railway border crossing that is currently operating, so allow me to share my experiences from frequently using this crossing in both directions.
  • Kazakh border formalities are carried out in Merke, sometimes at the station, sometimes on the neighbouring tracks to East.
  • Kyrgyz border formalities are always carried out in the Kaindy station.
  • You are not allowed to leave your carriage at either border station and you have to remain at your seat during the actual passport and customs inspections. Toilets are locked during the 40~60 minutes stops at the stations and are supposed to remain locked while crossing the border, although the Kyrgyz train attendants didn't mind unlocking the toilet between the stations when a fellow passenger asked.
  • Both sides carry out their passport controls using portable computers with passport scanners and embedded cameras. They work themselves through the carriages compartment by compartment, so you'll know when to be ready for the passport check at your berth. Passports are stamped right on the table, you don't have to give away your passport and supporting documents to anybody besides the actual officers.
  • Customs checks are carried out after the respective passport checks, usually with 2 to 3 sniffing dogs. On the exiting side it's usually a quick sniff through your compartment, on the entry side you will very likely be asked to open your luggage and present any items of interest.
  • The scheduled stops on both sides are usually long enough to not cause any delays or the stressed officials, during customs inspection you do not have to rush to unpack and pack your luggage.
  • Suprisingly every time I crossed the border I was processed by Kyrgyz border officers that either spoke English very well or had some command of French or German, the Kazakh side is limited to Kazakh, Russian and Kyrgyz.
  • The Kyrgyz trains do not have air conditioning yet, but thankfully the top quarter of most of the windows can be opened without any tools to allow some fresh air even while standing still. This might be different with air-conditioned cars of other operators (Tashkent-Balykchy-Tashkent train?) or when the Kyrgyz railways get some new rolling stock (not anytime soon).
3 x