Karavshin Gorge permit Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
tomnz

Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan Crossings (Batken area)

Post by tomnz »

Hi,

I'm trying to plan a hiking trip to Karavshin in the Batken Area of Kyrgyzstan and finding conflicting/spread info about how to do this.
I will be coming from Panjakent, Tajikistan.

I see there are two direct border crossings in the area: Kulundu & Isfara.
In one post someone thought all Kyr-Taj crossings were closed but Kyr-Uzb were open..but others have reported success at Isfara. Hard to reconcile the times.

I suppose I could go via Uzbekistan either at Panjakent/Samarkand or Khujand/Kokand(Konibodom) and get into Osh Kyrgyzstan at Doystk and then backtrack via bus to Batken...but makes the process a lot longer..

Any recent info helpful

Thanks
0 x

willemspie

Re: Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan Crossings (Batken area)

Post by willemspie »

The border between Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan is closed, you have to go through Uzbekistan.
I'm not sure at all that you can go to the Batken area, as it is the place where they were fighting.
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

The borders between TJ and KG are closed but no problem to go to Batken area. We were crossing the Turkestan range the last three weeks between Uzgurush and Aidarken and also in Karavshin. You just ought to have a border permit for some areas, but we needed our permit only once. When hiking near Tajikistan (enclaves) the kyrgyz military was just very sensitive and supposed one crossed directly from Tajikistan.
Great hiking area!
Greetings from Osh
0 x

tomnz

Post by tomnz »

I've contacted companies about border permits and the batken area permit is not currently available.
Did you get your permit in advance @pamirski?
Also since land borders are closed with Tajikistan/Kyrgystan you need to go via Uzbekistan and cross at Andijon/Osh
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

Our permit was issued on 27th of june in Bishkek, we went via Tien Shan Travel. They informed us, that in case of new tensions the military could deny access even with permit.
I think there are two ways getting a border permit, either via Bishkek, where you can get a general permit for all border regions at once, or via the local commands for each concerned oblast (I think there are 5)
0 x

David Wieder

Karavshin Gorge permit Q&A

Post by David Wieder »

Any thoughts? Hoping to do a trek in the Karavshin Valley in August.
0 x

willemspie

Re: Batken region open in 2023?

Post by willemspie »

Very unlikely, I'd think.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Last I checked, border area permits were not being issued for Batken. You need one for Karavshin.
0 x

Marcellc67

Post by Marcellc67 »

Just had a look at the Karavshin Valley info here https://central-asia.guide/kyrgyzstan/d ... in-valley/

They mention near the bottom of the page that 23 September 2022 it's strictly prohibited to visit the region due to the Kyrgyz-Tajik conflict.

Not sure if this has changed since that date.
0 x

David Wieder

Post by David Wieder »

I’ve been emailing trekking tour companies…. So far, two companies have said they can do it/it will be open. And two have said it is still closed due to the conflict. One of the companies also says they can get us from Tajikistan into Kyrgyzstan over a land border but travel in the other direction is impossible. Not sure how this is going to play out…
0 x