When will Azerbaijan open its borders?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Ggola

Re: Azerbaijan Georgia border

Post by Ggola »

growwiththego wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:46 am
Hey guys, as Azerbaijan Borders are closed we took a visa for Russia and are now travelling towards Kazakhstan by car. Everything worked out well and people in Russia are far away from war (in case this might bother you). Of someone needs more information, let us know, we can give you more details on that :)
Hi! Where did you get the Russian visa?
0 x

lejeuner

Post by lejeuner »

anybody has new experience? cause i saw its must be open from 1 sep
0 x

TrevtheCanuck

Post by TrevtheCanuck »

Was still closed last week. Article above says longer too
0 x

stuartr

Border crossing Georgia/Azerbaijan

Post by stuartr »

Hi All,

I`m heading out to Central Asia from the UK in April and would like to stay updated on the above border news. Does anyone have a website that gives accurate information and news on event in this area? There is information floating around that it would be re-opened in November, this dose not appear to be the case. Has it been closed for political reasons, or a hangover from Covid?

Many thanks for your help, Stuart.
0 x

sebhoff

Re: Border crossing Georgia/Azerbaijan

Post by sebhoff »

In my experience, JAM-news is quite good: https://jam-news.net
The last rumour I heard/read was that the border *might* open on January 1st, but who knows.
Sebastian
1 x

Rufio

Post by Rufio »

They pushed it from September to November to January. Better to just give your money to AZAL airlines like I did back in August.
0 x

stuartr

Post by stuartr »

Im not keen on flying either myself or the bike. If the border is still closed when I leave the uK in April, I will look at going through Russia.
0 x

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Hi Stuartr,
I also want to get from the Kaukasus to Kazakhstan by motorcycle next year. Do you think it will be possible by land? According to iVisa, it seems to be only possible by air....

Best,
Chris
0 x

stuartr

Post by stuartr »

Hi Chris,

At the moment it all seems to hinge on the border between Georgia and Azerbijan. If this is still an issue I will look at getting a Russian vias and exit Gerogia and transit a few days through Russia to Kazakstan. This is however not idea and there is obvious volotility with the Russian Federation. I`m panning on leaving in April from the UK to ride to Kyrgystan and back to the UK , so fingers crossed that somethig will open up. When are you leaving?
0 x

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

Good morning, thanks for your reply!
I am planning to leave in beginning of March. I would love to take the ferry in Baku, but yeah AZ seems to be problematic. I will call the Russian embassy and try to get some Infos. The thing is, I could imagine to take this route, but ordering a visa now also means having to be there at a certain time... (which I try to avoid :))
And getting a visa in turkey or Georgia is not that easy as I read.
What do you think?
0 x