When will Azerbaijan open its borders?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
nemesis464

Azerbaijan extend their current Covid regime until at least March

Post by nemesis464 »

See below:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-ale ... -update-41

https://koronavirusinfo.az/az (in Azeri)

The previous Covid regime was due to expire in January, but now looks to have been extended until at least March, so there goes any hope of land borders opening early.

If you were planning to link up the Caucasus with Central Asia on an overland trip, it probably doesn't make much difference given that Kazakhstan's land border are still closed too, but it's something to bear in mind if Kazakhstan miraculously happens to open up again sooner than predicted!
0 x

elliotmitchell01

Re: Azerbaijan extend their current Covid regime until at least March

Post by elliotmitchell01 »

So is the Kazakhstan border completely closed then? I was hoping to travel there from Azerbaijan via the Caspain Sea.

Elliot
0 x

nemesis464

Post by nemesis464 »

elliotmitchell01 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 am
So is the Kazakhstan border completely closed then? I was hoping to travel there from Azerbaijan via the Caspain Sea.

Elliot
Still seems to be closed at the moment. I believe Kazakhstan are only letting people fly into the country with 'essential' travel reasons, and I haven't really heard any news updates on the Baku-Aktau ferry since pretty much the pandemic started :(
0 x

duffajfka

Post by duffajfka »

nemesis464 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:11 pm
See below:

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-ale ... -update-41
"Passengers flying into Baku's Heydar Aliyev International Airport (GYD) will undergo PCR tests upon arrival." Can anyone confirm this? This site is the only one where I have read this, other official sites don't mention anything like that.

Also, has anybody been to Azerbaijan recently and would share their experience? I am planning a backpacking trip around the country for early March.
0 x

edwardbgill

Post by edwardbgill »

FYI land border restrictions have been extended again, until 2nd May sadly.

Does anyone have any indication of the likelihood of them being lifted in May?

Thanks

Ed
0 x

_Ellen_

Post by _Ellen_ »

I also hope that Azerbaijan will lift the restriction for land border crossings soon.
Now that Kazakhstan will open borders again from 11.04., there is still a little bit of hope that we can reach Kirgistan by land from Spain crossing the Caspian Sea... Lets cross fingers!
0 x

Garrian

Post by Garrian »

_Ellen_ wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:17 am
I also hope that Azerbaijan will lift the restriction for land border crossings soon.
Now that Kazakhstan will open borders again from 11.04., there is still a little bit of hope that we can reach Kirgistan by land from Spain crossing the Caspian Sea... Lets cross fingers!
Do you know that entry to Kazakhstan is open from ferry/caspian sea? I am planning to take this ferry my self, but not sure if it will open.
0 x

_Ellen_

Post by _Ellen_ »

Garrian wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:44 pm
_Ellen_ wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:17 am
Do you know that entry to Kazakhstan is open from ferry/caspian sea? I am planning to take this ferry my self, but not sure if it will open.
Kazakhstan will open on 11.04. again.
But how do you want me to get to Baku to catch the ferry if the land borders to Azerbaian are still closed?
0 x

Garrian

Post by Garrian »

_Ellen_ wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:17 pm
But how do you want me to get to Baku to catch the ferry if the land borders to Azerbaian are still closed?
Hi, Azerbaijan will probably open 2th of May. But Kazakhstan has not opened the maritim border, so you can not enter kazakhstan from ferry.
0 x

edwardbgill

Post by edwardbgill »

Garrian wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:58 am
_Ellen_ wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:17 pm
Hi, Azerbaijan will probably open 2th of May. But Kazakhstan has not opened the maritim border, so you can not enter kazakhstan from ferry.
Just done some digging on this, as I thought that maritime borders would open too, but I think you're right. The below article is quite specific in referencing the Uzbek, Kyrgz and Russian land borders. It doesn't appear to cover maritime borders (and so arriving in Aktau from Baku).

https://www.rferl.org/a/kazakhstan-lift ... 96631.html

Ed
0 x