Border crossing report: Zamin Uud – Erlian (MON - China)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Border crossing report: Zamin Uud – Erlian (MON - China)

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Zamin Uud - Erlian border crossing between Mongolia and China below.

We summarize all info on the Mongolia border crossings page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Border crossing report: Zamin Uud – Erlian (MON - China)

Post by steven »

Starting from Hohhot

Buses to Erlian leave from the main bus station next to the train station. The last bus leaves at 01:30pm, but it is 6 hours or so, so be sure to catch an early bus if you want to cross in the same day to catch the night train at 06:05pm from Zamin Uud. In Erlian, you can get really cheap rooms (20¥ and 30¥) across the broad from the train station.

Border crossing
I took the bus across the border on the 2nd June 2017 (note I think the border is closed on Children's Day on the 1st June). I tried to buy a bus ticket from the little room next where my bus from Hohhot arrived and all the Mongolians were buying it. After a lot of waiting and hassle, they give me my money back. I walk a few doors down to the main bus station (it's bigger sized and you go through a security check).

The ticket costs 40¥ (instead of 20¥ or 30¥ from the little room which may only be for Mongolians) at the counter and you actually get a receipt. The bus stops a few times while border guards walk up and down the bus. You unload at a huge new Chinese building to get stamped out of China. You find your bus again (there are a few of them so remember), reload, get off at the Mongolian entry building. (Note I did not take out my luggage once.) You are dropped off in a dirt parking lot about 100 metres from the train station main building (it is next to quite a few shops and banks).

A hard sleeper ticket to Ulaanbaatar cost 21,850T. There are a few ATMs and shops near the train station.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sheecko

Post by sheecko »

I want to rent a car in Zamiin-Uud in order to travel to Khamariin khiid.. do you know if i can rent a car there or pay a local driver to drive me there for a day?
0 x

Joax

Post by Joax »

Just wanted to add to this post
Beijing - Erlian
We travelled by sleeper bus to Erlian from the Xinfadi busstation (180 yuan) in Beijing around 6.20pm.
At the busstop in Erlian, we take a minivan to cross the border 50 yuan/pax. The sleeper bus arrives pretty early around 7am and the bus takes off around 9.30am.
We had a Chinese Group Visa - as we travelled from Nepal to Tibet and crossing the border took around 45min - 1 hour.
Zamyn-Uud to UB
The bus dropped us in Zamyn - uud square. on that square there are two options, either negotiate a car ride to UB (5-6h), either walk to the train station at the right side and get a train ride to UB ( second level - train 274/275 at 6.05pm and arrived at 9am in UB - hard sleeper - around 24000 tugrik each).
1 x

moe1970

Post by moe1970 »

I know these are older posts so maybe someone who knows is still following them. Can the Zamiin Uud border be used as a 'turn and burn' visa point if needed? My girlfriend has a multi-entry tourist visa for China. She will be in Hohhot this weekend. Would she be able to go from Hohhot to the Zamiin Uud boarder to get stamped out of China and into Mongolia then immediately turn around and come back? Will she need a visa for Mongolia? We are U.S. Citizens with U.S. passports. Thank you for your help.
0 x

Mignon_travels

Border crossing report: Erlian - Zamiin Uud (China to Mongolia)

Post by Mignon_travels »

In November 2019 we went from Beijing to Ulaanbaatar crossing the Erlian/Zamiin Uud border and we spent a total of 40$.
We first took an overnight bus, then a Jeep to cross the border and, finally, a night train from Zamiin Uud to Ulaanbaatar. Everything went super smoothly and it was really easy.
If you want detailed information about timetables and costs, click on the following link:

https://mignontravels.com/border-crossi ... aanbaatar/
1 x

cztt346

Post by cztt346 »

When the famous train K3(Beijing-Ulanbator-Moscow) arrived at Erlian Station, the loudspeakers started playing a Chinese march called "Welcome March". It's usually used in diplomatic occasions, and this reflected the extraordinary status of this International train. However, some westerners thought it's a"triumphant martial music"!
0 x

adventuretourchina

Mongolia/China Border: Zamin Uud/Erenhot reopened for tourists

Post by adventuretourchina »

Mongolia/China Border: Zamin Uud/Erenhot reopened for tourists on January 8, 2023, international passenger buses are also already running.

Chinese other ports have also been opened.
Attachments
WechatIMG813.jpeg
WechatIMG813.jpeg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
WechatIMG814.jpeg
WechatIMG814.jpeg (98.51 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
WechatIMG812.jpeg
WechatIMG812.jpeg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
0 x

Tepezcu

Post by Tepezcu »

The border is open after public holidays in China. It is not possible to cross by foot or bicycle and some transport (jeep, van, bus...) must be taken from Zamiin-Uud. It costed 50¥ (~6.5€). Otherwise, everything went smooth.
0 x

Cedric7473

Post by Cedric7473 »

Update January 2024 border is open

The most easy way to get from erlian to zamiin-uud and then to ulaanbattar is by bus and train

Go to the main bus station in erlian in the morning the bus leaves at 9 am and cost 50 yuan and takes about 1 h to cross

As for the train I highly recommend booking your train about 1 week in advance as the train is almost sold out every day
It's almost impossible to buy a ticket at the window at the station for the same or even next day You can book your ticket online on Tapatrip train leaves 6 pm there are ATMs and sim card store inside the train station and also a money exchange office
0 x