The latest process of entering China from Laos after border reopened

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
adventuretourchina

The latest process of entering China from Laos after border reopened

Post by adventuretourchina »

On the morning of January 8, Laos/China border (Boten/Mohan Port) fully resumed the customs clearance of personnel and goods. Laos/China borders fully reopened for Tourists. Here is a first-hand experience of the latest process for entering China from Laos.

1) Conduct a nucleic acid test(pcr test) by yourself 48 hours before entering the country, But the test report will not be checked at Mohan port by China customs. And you do not need to apply for a health code from the Chinese embassy abroad.

2) Fill in the nucleic acid test(pcr test) result into the customs health declaration card. If the nucleic acid test is positive, you should enter china after turning negative.

3) After submitting the health declaration card, go through the infrared temperature sensor door of the customs for temperature detection.

4) If you have fever symptoms or abnormal health declaration, you need to do a rapid antigen test:
- if rapid antigen test negative, free to leave. So, even if you have a fever, but your rapid antigen test is negative, you can still pass the customs normally.
- If your rapid antigen test is positive and you have a fever, (this means you're having covid), but you have no other symptoms or other symptoms are very mild, you will be advised to stay at home, isolate in your home or take care of yourself. But neither centralized isolation nor mandatory isolation is required.

* There is nucleic acid testing agency in Boten at the Laos Side.

* Please note that the application for a tourist visa to China is not yet open.
Attachments
WechatIMG824.jpeg
WechatIMG824.jpeg (151.03 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
WechatIMG823.jpeg
WechatIMG823.jpeg (178.58 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
WechatIMG822.jpeg
WechatIMG822.jpeg (202.88 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
0 x

sebhoff

Re: The latest process of entering China from Laos after border reopened

Post by sebhoff »

Excellent - thanks for the update. I hope they'll start the new train service from Vientiane to Kunming soon!
Sebastian
0 x

stansmug

Post by stansmug »

Has the OP himself, or anybody else, crossed this border?

Is it hassle free, any phone checks etc?

A report would be highly valued, I can't find one anywhere.

0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

I planned to come through this border in februari as i was in Cambodia and coming back home to Belgium, but unfortunality i decided to ship my car back from Sihanoukville to Antwerp. What i read about this border-crossing before Covid, that it was all pretty straight forward (to chinese standards), but i think its "utopia" to not have checked your phone, just erease all "maybe probelamtic" things from it, especially anyting about Taiwan, Uigurs or Tibet !!
1 x

Alibobo

Post by Alibobo »

Roadtophnompenh wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 am
my car back from Sihanoukville to Antwerp.
Yo

Would you mind sharing the cost of such shipping? Very curioys about it

As for Mohan it used to be a very chill border post..crossed in 2019 (laos to china)..5minutes top..no luggage check,no questions or phone search..nice and professional customs officers
1 x

stansmug

Post by stansmug »

Thanks for that!

We want to get from here to Kunming - is there any way to view train timetables or book online?
Could you talk me through your onward travel (assuming you headed there too)?

I'm trying the official site https://www.12306.cn/en/index.html and it keeps saying "system busy", maybe need a Chinese IP?
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Alibobo wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Roadtophnompenh wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 am
my car back from Sihanoukville to Antwerp.
Yo

Would you mind sharing the cost of such shipping? Very curioys about it

As for Mohan it used to be a very chill border post..crossed in 2019 (laos to china)..5minutes top..no luggage check,no questions or phone search..nice and professional customs officers
IT was 3000 euro until Antwerp-docks, there i Payed another 700 to get my car out of the docks and delivered home at my house. Payed full 20-^foot container load, if you share, it can be a little cheaper but takes much longer. Drove my car in the container in Sihanoukville on 22 january, and get it back 3 days ago (15 march).
Just get my carnet stamped yesterday close to my house at a small custom-office, they didnt see a carnet for decades, hahaha (it was in Geel). If i would be driving home through Russia an China, it would have been more expensive i think. But compared with the shipping i did in November from India to Malaysia (because Myanmar is still closed), it was a very reasonable price !! The girl who shipped my car works longtime in shipping-bussiness but never shipped a car out, and never heard about a carnet, i work myself also in transport-bussiness and our 2 combined brains, sorted it out without real trouble. Very important is when you enter camboia you specify on their online-app you export the car throuhj SHV-33, and not SHV-11, what i did, that was the main problem we had. Car arrived perfect (i lashed it myself in the container). Cleaned it and back on the road now !!
0 x

stansmug

Post by stansmug »

Update - you need wechat to cross this border.

I needed a friendly Chinese traveller to fill it in for me, no English option.

No Covid test or anything unexpected needed and it was relatively hassle free.
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Goodmoring Stansmug. I think you are more or less the first traveller who actually really entered China by road, or am I wrong ?? How did you cross the border ?? Own car, bike or foot ?? Whats the plan afterwards to go to ?? Straight to Mongolia or back to the Stans ??
0 x