Iran travel safety Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Sloove

Iran travel safety Q&A

Post by Sloove »

Hi
I'm thinking of travelling to Iran with my wife before heading on to Central Asia.
Just wondering if it is safe to travel to this area at the moment. (Especially with my wife).
I have never thought about travelling here before but I am consistently hearing great reports.
We are both Australian. (Not sure if that matters).
Any thoughts/advice would be awesome.
Thanks
Matt
0 x

roro

Re: Iran travel safety???

Post by roro »

Iran is safe and also for your wife.

RR.
1 x

wolfpaws

Post by wolfpaws »

Recent legislation as of Decemebr 18 2015 passed in the USA now dictates that any citizen of the 38 Country USA Visa Waiver Free program that visits Iran or has visited Iran within the last 5 years will now be required to obtain a visa to visit the USA ..your once visa free status is now void
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Shame on US officials!
0 x

Sloove

Post by Sloove »

roro wrote:Iran is safe and also for your wife.

RR.
Hi roro
Thanks for the reply.
Are there any particular things you would suggest we keep in mind, or is it just the usual respect and courtesy needed when travelling in this country?
Also any places/things you could suggest that we shouldn't miss on our trip there?
Cheers
Matt
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Just one point: don't take pictures of official buildings.
Iran people are so kind with foreigners.
There are so many wonderful places to visit in Iran: LP guide gives you an idea.
RR.
1 x

sabadian

Post by sabadian »

Hi,
Iran is spectacularly beautiful and one of the safest countries to visit anywhere in the world.
You will be overwhelmed by the kindness of the people whom you will meet along the way and on your journey through Iran.
My wife and I visited Iran over a 5 weeks journey as part of our overland journey of 18 countries last year.
If you are travelling with your own vehicle you need the "Carnet" (Car Passport/Bond) as standard requirement by many countries, an International driving permit and a little bit of care on the roads there as they do drive differently to what you might be used to. They drive fast and a little too close at times, and they do sudden moves. A little shocking but not much more different than what we experienced in Italy, Turkey, Georgia or Armenia etc!
People are very respectful towards women and you will be surprised how kind and accommodating people are in Iran.
Travelling costs are low, the country is massive and large and there are numerous places to visit.
Most young people speak good English, petrol is cheap and the food is delicious. Enjoy your journey and let everyone know what a good time you have there.
Highly recommended.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

sabadian wrote:Hi,
People are very respectful towards women and you will be surprised how kind and accommodating people are in Iran.
My impression is that people are respectful around accompanied women... but I've heard lots of reports from unaccompanied women—traveling alone and with other women—that many men are not nearly so respectful as one would hope.
1 x

Joanna Kaszewiak

Post by Joanna Kaszewiak »

bwv812 wrote:
sabadian wrote:Hi,
My impression is that people are respectful around accompanied women... but I've heard lots of reports from unaccompanied women—traveling alone and with other women—that many men are not nearly so respectful as one would hope.
Confirmed. Being a single girl here, you meet men telling or showing you they want to have sex with you. 'No' is respected and ignoring those who show you obvious gestures works better then cursing them loudly in your language. Those things happen but generally speaking Iran is safe and Iranian hospitality is amazing. I'm having great time here.
Joanna Kaszewiak
www.onbyways.com
2 x

robertm

Latest on security and safety of UK citizens in Iran?

Post by robertm »

Are any members in - or have been to Iran - recently? As the situ is heating up Re. US/Iran relations. Hence I am checking what the temperature on the ground is. So to speak.

UK FO recommend DUAL UK/Iranian citizens to stay away presently but no guidance is provided to UK only citizens.

I have a visa cert already approved so will be able to get a visa into my passport upon handing it to my local Iranian embassy (in Dubai where I live).

many thanks

robert
0 x