Georgia to Russia Border crossing (Zemo Larsi - Chertov Most)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
interrailer

Re: Georgia to Russia Border crossing (Zemo Larsi - Chertov Most)

Post by interrailer »

Steve.M wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:20 am
Yourneighbourtotoro wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm
It's been good to read all your responses, as I'm planning on making the trip next year. Any idea what it might be like for a late 20s solo female British tourist who doesn't speak Russian? Easier, or would they give me a hard time?

I've been to Russia before (Trans-siberian trip) with an old visa in my passport, and Georgia several times.
Hey, did you ever do your trip? If so, how was the crossing?
I did the crossing in end of 2019 from Russia to Georgia and can confirm the experience of Felix1993.
I was traveling with a female friend and they took me to a room while my female friend was waiting outside. They asked a lot of questions about parents, .... and were writing the stuff in their computer. After some time waiting etc. they finally let us go. Our driver told us, that usually only people from Chechenya would have this problems because they think that they are going to Syria for fighting...
1 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Do keep in mind that this crossing was closed in March 2020 due to Covid-19, has not reopened yet and will probably not do so soon (while the virus situation is improving, the war in Ukraine unsurprisingly has an impact on the political relations between Russia and Georgia).
0 x

nightcrawlerbcn

Post by nightcrawlerbcn »

Just for the record:
https://www.yahoo.com/now/georgia-tempo ... 39583.html
So it seems that at least a few days (and maybe a few weeks) it's closed due to heavy land slidings because of the rains. As it's the only border crossing between Russia and Georgia for the whole Kazbegi mountains and main route of transport, guess that they will try to go faster than usual (slowness on these latituds).

I'm in Russia and was planning to cross soon, in case I will go will report if reopened and conditions
0 x

raycooknz

Russia - Georgia Border Crossings Updates

Post by raycooknz »

Hi There fellow Travellers,

Im planning to cross from Russian side at Vladikavkaz side into Georgia.In my Toyota Landcruiser in August 2022
Has anybody done this crossing recently???

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
Ray
0 x

Anei

Re: Russia - Georgia Border Crossings Updates

Post by Anei »

Hello - we haven't done it (planning to do the other way round in one week, in Georgia at the moment) but we spoke to Russians here who crossed 2 weeks ago and they said it is not a problem. They spent less than an hour at the border.
0 x

raycooknz

Post by raycooknz »

Hi Anei

Thanks for your reply!!!
I will be interested to hear from you once you have crossed into Russia....
Interesting to hear people are only having to wait less than an hour at the border👍

Keep in touch and safe travels.
0 x

janneman

Post by janneman »

Hello there!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I tried to get a Russian transit visa here in Tbilisi, but I was told the border was closed again.
i'm looking forward if you will succeed, please update me if so.
0 x

raycooknz

Post by raycooknz »

Hi
Thanks for your posting.
I have my Russian Visa and will pick up my Landcrusier which has been parked up in Anapa Russia and drive to the border and cross into Georgia.
Planning to do this mid August so fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes for me.

Where are you planning ro drive to??

Regards
Ray
0 x

Ggola

Post by Ggola »

janneman wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:55 am
Hello there!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I tried to get a Russian transit visa here in Tbilisi, but I was told the border was closed again.
i'm looking forward if you will succeed, please update me if so.
Hi,
Where are you from? I'm Italian and I tried to get a transit visa for Russia both in Tbilisi and in Yerevan and they said the consulates don't give visa if you don't have a residence card in these countries. So only the Embassy in your country of visit can give you a visa, so I'm thinking to send my passport to Italy
0 x

janneman

Post by janneman »

Hi Ggola, thanks for the explanation.
I'm from the Netherlands, driving with my Honda transalp 700 from my hometown to kazachstan.
but I'm driving to a dead-end in georgia.
1. everybody knows the azerbeidjan border problem, shipping is getting really expensive, and an airplane ticket even more so.
2. shipping to aqtau was a whopping 6000 dollars,
3. driving trough russia, trying to get a Visa
4. Iran and try to get a boat is a questionable possibility.

For now i applied for an e-visa to Azerbeidjan, and want to go to the borderposts with good luck.
i've got my covid -shots and maybe with a negative PCR-test you can only hope for the best.

If you know some other possibily, please let me know.

Greetings from Tbilisi
0 x