UK to India via russia & china

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
[email protected]

UK to India via russia & china

Post by [email protected] »

Hi,
I would like to drive by car with some friends from UK to India - route is UK Folkestone drive trough europe -> Russia from The Luhamaa, Estonia border - Pskov border -> kazakhstan from A27 highway border crossing at Kotyayevka -> Karakalpakia, Uzbekistan -> Dostuk - highway, Osh region Kara-Suy district, Kyrgyzstan -> Irkeshtam Port, Kashgar, china -> Gyirong, Nepal -> Indo Nepal Border, Sonauli.

I am a UK passport holder. UK has issued an advisory not to travel to Russia, Iran, Nagorno-Karabakh @ Azerbaijan.
Questions.
1> What are the other alternative routes?
2> If I still go through Russia
2a> are visas being issued by Russia?
2b> Are there any issues entering Russia by car from Luhamaa border
2c> I understand our insurance will not work. Can I buy insurance from Russian border?
2d> Is this site safe - https://russiable.com/travel-medical-in ... onic-visa/ ? Can I buy insurance from them?

Any other advice is welcome.
Thanks a lot in anticipation.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: UK to India via russia & china

Post by steven »

For question 1. You can take a ferry with the car across the Caspian Sea from Baku to either Turkmenistan or Kazakhstan.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Re: UK to India via russia & china

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

steven wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:59 am
For question 1. You can take a ferry with the car across the Caspian Sea from Baku to either Turkmenistan or Kazakhstan.
Did the Turkmenistan ferry resume already?
Oh and you’d have to put the car on a train from tbilisi to baku and fly in yourself. The ferry is wonderful though.
1 x