Irkeshtam pass report – Kashgar, Xinjiang to Sary Tash, Kyrgyzstan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Gabemasca

Re: Irkeshtam pass report – Kashgar, Xinjiang to Sary Tash, Kyrgyzstan

Post by Gabemasca »

Hey guys, I be travelling in China in July and want to cross to Kyrgyztan on the 31st of that month, a monday. But the 1st of January is a chinese holiday, anyone knows if I can have any problem crossing the corder the day before?

thanks!
0 x

cristiano

Irkeshtam border crossing

Post by cristiano »

Hello,
has anybody recently entered China from Kyrgyzstan at Irkeshtam border with private vehicle?
It was supposed to be the easiest border but I'm hearing confusing reports now..
0 x

Idberg

Post by Idberg »

I passed Irkeshtam border from Kyrgyzstan to China three weeks ago. I did it in one day, but I started early at the Kyrgyz border post and it still took me all day. Nevertheless - a great experience, absolutely recommendable.

Here is my detailed report in two parts:

https://passportparty.ch/2017/07/26/border-23-part1/
https://passportparty.ch/2017/07/30/border-23-part-2/
3 x

morkovkin

Post by morkovkin »

On August 28 I went from to China to Kyrgyzstan. And I'd like to add here some details and info about actual prices.

At first we were doubt was the border open, because Kyrgyzstan Independence Day was coming. So I phoneв to Kyrgyzstan border police to clarify the info. We were speaking Russian and I don't know if they can speak English. For the Irkeshtam pass you can call the state office: +996-312-54-80-40, +996-312-54-95-87 – or the Osh regional office: +996-312-29-11-76, +996-3222-2-20-59. This numbers I got from the official web-site of Kyrgyzstan border police http://www.gps.gov.kg. Unfortunately it has only Kyrgyz and Russian versions.

The Chinese borders – the Ulugqat one as well as the factual one – works from 10:00 to 19:45 with a break from 13:00 to 16:30. It's the summer schedule, and the winter one differs a little bit. Kyrgyzes seem to let people in and out 24 hours a day – I haven't asked border policemen, but a local guy told me this.

In Kashgar I was staying in Kashgar Old Town Youth Hostel (N 39.470452, E 75.983500). They organized transport from the doors to the border for 50 yuans (7.5$) per person. On Ulugqat border we met a French girl who went from Kashgar bus station to Ulugqat for 33 yuans (5$) by shared taxi. Then she took a taxi from the town of Ulugqat to the border for 20 yuans (3$).

In the border terminal we passed China passport control, then we paid 100 yuans (15$) per person and left for Kyrgyzstan.

Before the border we made a stop in a cafe. We almost came, but the second Chinese border was on its break, so we had to wait. On the factual border after a little documents inspection we entered Kyrgyzstan. Here you should cross by foot 1-2 km of no man's land before Kyrgyzstan border terminal. But you can take a taxi which will cost 100-200 soms (1,5-3$) — depends on your wish to bargain and taxi drivers' insolence.

After passing Kyrgyzstan passport control we were not allowed to continue our way by foot. In theory we could hitchhike of course. But we were ten people. We started to negotiate with taxi drivers, but they didn't want to bring us closer than Osh and to take more than four people in a car. And a half of us planned to make a stop in Sary-Tash which is 70 km from the border. I came to a border policeman and complained that we had to go by foot cause taxi drivers refused to transport us. A policeman came to one of the drivers who seemed to be the taxi drivers' mafia boss, and they started to argue. When their quarrel started turning into a fight, all the drivers agreed to gave us a lift where and how we want, not they. The five of us who went to Sary-Tash paid 1000 soms (15 $) per person. For the rest who made for Osh it costed 2000 soms (30 $), while the normal price for the way Sary-Tash–Osh is 500 soms.

There is a little village Nura not far from the border which seems to have a bus connection with Osh – but I couldn't manage to clarify it. After the border we passed just one checkpoint where our passports were checked. And then we reached Sary-Tash where we stayed for a night – it's a small vilage, but it has plenty opprotunities for food and accomodation.
1 x

geogeo_genepo

Post by geogeo_genepo »

Hello guys

We cross the border from kachgar to Osh on the 23rd of April.
I share with you how to do it.

KASHGAR TO OSH

We crossed the Irkeshtam pass from Kashgar to Osh today, the 23rd of April 2018.

The border is open from monday to friday and close between 13.00 and 16.00. The idea is to arrive before lunch break.

Here is what we did:

(All times are given on Beijing time)

8:00 arrived by taxi at the Kashgar northern bus station close to the train station. We were 4 Found and we Found a taxi. It cost us 50 RMB/person.

The taxi dropped us directly at the customs around 12:30 after 3 police checkpoint on the road. You can see how important it is to leave kachgar early as each checkpoint take at least 45 minutes.

Leaving early from Kashgar is what enabled us to arrive before lunch break at Ulugqat and smoothed the entire process.

At the customs building they kept our passports and made us wait for around 20 minutes. Then we got our passports back and were authorized to go through immigration where they stamped our passports and kept them (again).
Next step was the drive to the actual border. The compulsory taxi is provided by the Chinese authorities and you have to pay it 100 RMB/person. The driver has your passport and you get it back when you actually cross the border 130 km further. The drive lasts around 2 hours
We arrived at the border around 16:00 by leaving the immigration at 13.30

You have to walk around 200 meters to meet the Kirgiz check point where you can get a shuttle for the 3 km to the immigration building. You can also walk.

The kirgiz immigration was super fast. On the other side taxis were waiting to go to Osh or Sari Taj.
We got a cab for 200 RMB/ person to Osh (4 persons in the car).
We arrived in Osh around 21:30 (leaving the border around 18:00).
The road was very beautiful.

To recap it cost us 350 RMB/ person which is around 45€/52$ these days and it took us around 14 hours.
It is very important to arrive before lunch time.

I hope this post proves helpful to anyone.
1 x

james

Post by james »

Yesterday (Wednesday May 30), myself and two other foreigners tried to pass the Irkeshtam border from Kashi to Kyrgyzstan unsuccessfully. We arrived at the long distance bus station before 9 am and tried to get tickets to Wuqia/Ulagqat. Upon several levels of employees being involved, they eventually told us that it was not possible for us to reach there via bus or taxi. We asked some taxi drivers outside later who redirected us indoors. When we asked why others we know have been able to get tickets to Wuqia successfully recently, they said that this has always been their policy. Then they said the only way for us to get to Kyrgyzstan is via a travel agent.

From further consultation with our hostel, it appears that often bus employees with try to not allow foreigners. This is because the drivers may not want to stop at all the checkpoints and they are liable for everyone on the bus in getting across. An employee at our hostai that he had never heard or problems like this with Kyrgyzstan,
But has come across similar problems with people heading towards almaty. Eventually we decided to book a 7 person van at the Old Town hostel with 4 other people where were planning on departing the following day.

All in all, we could not buy any ticket to Wuqia from Kashi. While our experience may have been highly variable based on the workers, I think it is important to be aware of this for anyone travelling across Irkeshtam.
2 x

james

Post by james »

Today, a group of 8 of us successfully made it across the border today, but with a few problems. After leaving at 730 from kashgar, we arrived at the first checkpoint a little after 9am. After nearly 1.5 hours waiting at the checkpoint as someone from the hostel on the phone and our driver, the guards seemed angry. They were irritated that we did not have a guide with us, even though we had stamped papers with all our information. Eventually they let us through, but is seems that it is now required to have a guide in addition to the driver take foreigners to Wuqia/Ulugqat. The rest of our schedule seemed to follow the schedules described previously. However, despite leaving at 730 we did not make it before lunch, so I would recommend to not leave much later than that. Additionally, after the border the guards said there was neither a currency exchange at the border nor in sary tash.
2 x

CésarDP

Post by CésarDP »

Hi all

Im new guy here!.
I started to read some of info about this pass crossing...in my case I would like to get to China from Kgz and I was wondering how much money (CNY) should I bring with me which includes pay the border taxes at chinese border and later get to Kashgar by bus.There I might change the rest of my euros or dollars.

Thx on advance.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

CésarDP wrote:Hi all

Im new guy here!.
I started to read some of info about this pass crossing...in my case I would like to get to China from Kgz and I was wondering how much money (CNY) should I bring with me which includes pay the border taxes at chinese border and later get to Kashgar by bus.There I might change the rest of my euros or dollars.

Thx on advance.
Please read https://caravanistan.com/border-crossin ... htam-pass/ carefully. It has an estimation of taxi prices. If you read carefully you will also notice there is no bus for foreigners.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

hornet74

Re: Ishkashim border crossing: open or closed?

Post by hornet74 »

Anybody knows if there is any closure on the Irkeshtam border (both Kyrg and China side) during dragon boat festival 18 June 2018 period?
0 x