Chinese border closure w Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan - 2016

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
ontheroadfinally

Re: Chinese border closure w Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan - 2016

Post by ontheroadfinally »

Luke, thanks very much for the update. Myself and my girlfriend can get by in quite a few languages, but not Russian I'm afraid.

How about getting a Chinese visa in Bishkek? Do you think that's easier, or the same hassle?
0 x

aBiscuit

Post by aBiscuit »

Refering to the first post in the thread:
Yesterday, 24-th of May have successfuly hitchhiked from China to Kyrgyzstan through Irkestam border crossing.
There was no problems of any kind.

p.s.: Though, I am Ukrainian, so there is no need for me to have Kyrgyz visa.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks aBiscuit!

About Chinese visa in Bishkek, it seems very difficult, @ontheroadfinally. All the latest info I have is in the Chinese visa article.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

LukeKUSA

Post by LukeKUSA »

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating sooner. Shockingly internet hasn't been very accessible here in Western China. The transit worked great. I got on the bus in Almaty at seven am and was in Urumqi by eight am the next day. It was a surprisingly comfortable ride, as well, other than three or four hours standing around on the border. I recommend it. I'll provide some more details on the process later.

As for visas, I can't say as to Bishkek. I had great luck getting my year-long Kazakhstan visa there, but that's something else entirely. Almaty is possible with Russian-speaking help, but I'm not sure it'd be doable without it. I know a woman who speaks fluent Russian and English who has expressed interest in helping foreigners get visas in the city. I can ask her permission to post her contact information here if you all are interested. She helped me out quite a bit.
1 x

real2234

Post by real2234 »

Hi,
so it was a false news the closure of the land borders to foreigners?
I will have to cross the Irkeshtam pass this summer, I hope so seriously.
I contacted an agency in Kashgar for information on the route and he made no mention of closure.
Thank you.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi real,

yes, it was a false positive. Only travel agents were saying this, it turned out not be true. My mistake to believe them without double-checking
0 x

Wahlstedt

Post by Wahlstedt »

I traveled from Kazhakstan to China with the Almaty - Ürumchi train on May 8 without any problem. Three of us had Swedish passports and visa issued in Stockholm and one British passport with visa issues in London.

But the copy of Lonely Planet "China" was not allowed to enter China since it mentions Tapei as capitol of Taiwan (and not Beijing as the only Capitol)...
0 x

real2234

Post by real2234 »

Thank you!!

My Lonely Planet in my language makes no mention of Taiwan, in my previous trip to China no one has checked me and I had no problems... I had read about this possibility but I never thought that could really happen :o
0 x

Schlenker

Post by Schlenker »

Just to hold the discussion alive. I was in contact with Meerim from Bakail Travel: this is what she wrote:
"Hello! My name is Meerim, I'm a traveling agency worker. And yes, we could make a Chinese visa. But for now foreign citizens could get only an airport visa. It's given for 30 days, and coasts 150$. And you should travel by plane.
Documents needed from you is only passport and 2 pictures sized 33x48 mm
Visa will be made in 7 working days."

I asked her, how about going by bike to the border and she replyed:

"You are welcome!
For now it's not possible to cross the borders by bicycle... Airport visa is given by Chinese airport customs, not by the embassy. I will prepare the invitation letter to you, and after that you will fly to Urumchi and get a visa by customers in airport with letter...
Best regards Meerim!"

So my Plan is to send my passport to a German Travel Agency with the help of the German Embassy in Bishkek. They will need 3 days for Visa plus time for sending. So I hope it will need not more than 10 days to get a visa and my passport.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thank you Kristian, let us know what happened!
0 x