Road quality in Xinjiang

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
nsavir

Road quality in Xinjiang

Post by nsavir »

I'm helping my friend plan a trip in Xinjiang and he's thinking about doing some driving. He was going to do the following itinerary:

Hotan -> Kashgar -> Aksu -> Kuqa -> Ili (Gulja)

I wasn't able to find any info online about the road quality in southern and western Xinjiang after searching around a bit. Maybe the best info is in Chinese language sites. Anyway, does anyone have experience driving on those roads? How is the road quality?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Road quality in Xinjiang

Post by bwv812 »

Well, in order to self-drive in China you basically need to have a guide with you. You could probably ask the guide or agency when you arrange things.

When I was in Xinjiang in 2012 the roads were fine. Certainly better than you find in most of Central Asia, and I believe the Chinese are continuing to build new roads/highways and improve existing roads in the area, as is their wont. The only bad road in the region I've heard of was the KKH to Tashkurgan, which they were ripping up and replacing last year.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

nsavir

Post by nsavir »

Thanks for your reply! Actually all the people on this trip are Chinese nationals, so I guess they have a better chance than most of working out a way to self-drive. But I'll leave that part to them!
0 x

Leelicious

Post by Leelicious »

Road quality in China?
Best roads I've seen in my whole life.
And that's no sarcasm
1 x