Border crossing reports: Tajen (UZ - KAZ)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Li Via

Re: Tajen Border crossing uzbekistan kazakstan

Post by Li Via »

SteLa Tandem wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:59 am
Li Via wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:17 pm
Thank you for these information - we plan to cross these border in a few days by bicycle. :)

best wishes,
Livia
Hi Livia,
Please let us know how you get on! We plan to crossby bicycle too in a few weeks. Which way are you going, where did you get PCRs?
Thanks
Laura
Hi Laura,

We crossed from UZ to KZ. No PCR-Test or vaccination certificate needed. Its a 25 km ride from Karalkapakistan to the border. Theres nothing than camels there - beautiful! :) The road is in bad condition, but for cyclists quit good to handel. cars will struggle more. The border procedure was smoth and easy. All people were friendly and told us where to go next. We had to scan the luggage on both sides. All in all it took as about an hour.
There are lots of money changer on both sides. We change on the KZ side. No problem and a fair rate. (Don’t remember which one, just remember it was good. ;) ).

The border area in KZ is quite extinct. There lots of closed and abandoned Cafés and Shops, but we managed to find a cold drink. But don’t expect too much.

good luck!

Livia
1 x

kenyon

Post by kenyon »

Hey
We tried to cross from KAz to UZB but the border is CLOSE
only trucks can get in.
We had to make a long way in Kazakhstan to the border near Tashkent
We were told about an off-road shortcut from Beynau to Shlkhar on this is what we have done.
It is good route for off road
I couldn’t attached the gpx file, if you want the file
So massage me on Facebook massanger
Roi ken
0 x

jummy

Post by jummy »

We crossed the Tajen border with our own car from Kazachstan to Uzbekistan on August 27 and experienced no issues at all. The only thing is that truck drivers are prioritized (30 trucks in a batch), so we had to wait for 2.5 hours before we were allowed through the first checkpoint at the Kazakh side
Last edited by jummy on Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

h.ahmadybirgani

Post by h.ahmadybirgani »

Dear Friends,

Do you have any update on the Tejen Boarder between UZ and KAZ? Is it open for tourism??

Many thanks.

Hesam/
0 x

Uzi

Post by Uzi »

Yes, worked absolutely fine for me two months ago!
(Bring your own car though or you'll need to do some hitchhiking).
0 x

serialchiller

Re: Border Crossing Uzbek to Kazakh (Tajen - extreme west of Uzb)

Post by serialchiller »

Been there in early 2023.

More or less smooth, but very slow and inspection-heavy process. Lots of middle-aged women with heavy bags.

Guards aren't really used to non-CIS-foreigners, especially to those without cars.

Just stay friendly-serious, speak English, and say one of two things if asked why you're crossing the border:
  • "Tourist" if it's one way,
  • "Exit-Return" (or something similar) if you're just there to get an exit stamp because of the stay limit of either country.
Border guards know & accept the scheme and are more comfortable with the latter than the former.
2 x

serialchiller

Post by serialchiller »

Been there in early 2023.

More or less smooth, but very slow and inspection-heavy process. Lots of middle-aged women with heavy bags.

Guards aren't really used to non-CIS-foreigners, especially to those without cars.

Just stay friendly-serious, speak English, and say one of two things if asked why you're crossing the border:
  • "Tourist" if it's one way,
  • "Exit-Return" (or something similar) if you're just there to get an exit stamp because of the stay limit of either country (e.g. 30 days for EU citizens in Kazakhstan).
Border guards know & accept the scheme and are more comfortable with the latter than the former.
1 x

alberto.zamperetti

Re: Border crossing reports: Tajen (UZ - KAZ)

Post by alberto.zamperetti »

hello everyone :)

I'm planning to cross the border, from Kazakistan side in to uzbek side, by foot on the end of April, do you think i can find a sherd taxi to nukus or urgench ?

unfortunately my trip schedule do not match the train time table, based on what i've found online; somewhere i read that there's a daily train between beyneu and nukus, but i can't find an evidence of it. do you know something about that ?

If you have any other advice on how to cross the border walking I'd be very grateful.

thank in advance
0 x