Tajen Border crossing uzbekistan kazakstan

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
globetraveler

Re: Tajen Border crossing uzbekistan kazakstan

Post by globetraveler »

July 25, 2019 Started from Kungrad early in the morning, 7am. Luckily found a ride directly to border, didn't even pay. :) Was there by 12, noon. Border is chaos, people are all around. :D But crossed quickly. Uzbeks asked me for registration slips, I had 3 nights covered (out of 8). They didn't check photos, camera or phone. Nothing, super easy. Serbian passport, visa free both Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan. Kazak side was also easy, 30min maybe. Hitched a car to 90km Beyney, another one to Atyrau, and another one all the way to Astrakhan in Russia. 20hours, 1300km hitched. ;)
1 x

FreddiWoomba

is the UZ-KZ border of Tazhen/Tajen open?

Post by FreddiWoomba »

So, I am in Almaty, missed my big tour around the sub continent last summer and determined not to sit around in KZ any longer... with Uzbekistan open I woul dlike to go up to the Caspian then back down into Uzbekistan through Tazhen.... I would really like to know if that border is open. WOuld be a shame to go all the way up there, to that border then have to go all the way back down to Tashkent. I've aske my Canadian EMbassy (no reply) also asked the Uzbekistan Consulate, no reply... :( :( :( help. please.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Re: is the UZ-KZ border of Tazhen/Tajen open?

Post by mazeno »

only for cis citizens
(with restrictions of course)
1 x
rgds -
mazeno

FreddiWoomba

Post by FreddiWoomba »

Hello, thanks for the reply... So... I'm curious, why would that border only be for CIS citizens... I mean, I imagined it would either be open or closed. The borders around Tashkent are open to all (with a PCR test at the border) apparently. So, why would this particular border only be for CIS citizens only.. I mean if they are allowing these people it means there is a chance to take PCR test at the border. And thus, no reason not to let other people into Uzbekistan.?
Thanks for responding.. please, it would be great to hear your feedback in detail.
0 x

Jealgu

Post by Jealgu »

There are plenty of locals only borders in the region. It is not a covid thing. Not sure what the reasoning for this is. Perhaps it is cheaper because less administration is needed. In some cases governments might want to restrict access to certain areas for foreigners.
0 x

itfcfan

Post by itfcfan »

FreddiWoomba wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:43 am
Hello, thanks for the reply... So... I'm curious, why would that border only be for CIS citizens... I mean, I imagined it would either be open or closed.
In my experience of the region (mainly Kazakhstan, but I think a lot applies more broadly) there is a concept of "near abroad" (a kind of leftover from the USSR, referencing citizens of CIS countries) which puts these people into a different category to true "foreigners" (people from outside CIS). Following the media you'll often see these groups categorised differently - laws and regulations may applies differently to people from "near abroad" and "foreigners". So while I don't know about the exact situation at these UZ borders it doesn't surprise me the idea of them being open to "near abroad" citizens only.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

tajen is not always locals only
it is covid time locals only

i have heard it is usual that you can wait long hours for border service especially on the uzb side (i heard even about 2 days)
unless you can press the customs to work
which i think is not so hard - personally i have never been crossing more than 2 hours both the border posts (kzh&uzb)
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

frunze

Post by frunze »

itfcfan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm
FreddiWoomba wrote:
Hello, thanks for the reply... So... I'm curious, why would that border only be for CIS citizens... I mean, I imagined it would either be open or closed.
In my experience of the region (mainly Kazakhstan, but I think a lot applies more broadly) there is a concept of "near abroad" (a kind of leftover from the USSR, referencing citizens of CIS countries) which puts these people into a different category to true "foreigners" (people from outside CIS). Following the media you'll often see these groups categorised differently - laws and regulations may applies differently to people from "near abroad" and "foreigners". So while I don't know about the exact situation at these UZ borders it doesn't surprise me the idea of them being open to "near abroad" citizens only.
I do not understand the surprise with this. It is exactly the same situation as with the European Union.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

itfcfan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm
FreddiWoomba wrote:

Prove me wrong if the term "near abroad" has a different meaning in Kazakhstan than in Russia (from where I know the term), but to my understanding, the term "near abroad" is not identical with "CIS countries", but has been formed to explicitly include non-CIS member countries which used to be part of the USSR as well (originally, the Baltics, nowadays, Georgia and Ukraine are in this category too).
0 x