Driving Nukus - Kungrad - Beyneu - Aktau

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Tramper

Driving Nukus - Kungrad - Beyneu - Aktau

Post by Tramper »

Roads Kazakhstan
I traveled the road from the Western-most Uzbek border to Aktau a week ago. The road from the border to Beyneu (about 90km) is still completely destroyed and filled with potholes and loose sand in the middle of the road. By motorcycle it took me about 2 hours. The road between Beyneu and Aktau is brand new and took me less than 6.

Roads in Uzbekistan
Bukhara to Khiva: first 70km or so is potholed misery, then new good road all the way to Turtkul followed by more potholes to Urgench. After that it's smooth sailing to Khiva. No petrol between Gazli and Miskin.

Khiva to Nukus to Moynak: Bumpy, but not too bad. Could do 80kph.

Kungrad to Kazakh border: Work in progress, most of it is tarmac. Last 50km to the border is a disaster. Kungrad is the last place to get petrol, so better stock up. In harvest season the last good petrol before you hit the border is on the black market in Nukus. Just go to any gas station and wait, someone will come to you and offer 'benzine' for about 4000 som a liter. Bring a fuel filter if you want your vehicle to survive.
2 x

puppywalker

Re: Updates: Driving in Uzbekistan & Kazakhstan (Beyneu - Aktau)

Post by puppywalker »

hi
thank you very much on the updated information.

I have 2 questions. hope you can answer them.

1 ) black market petrol in Nukus
you mention it is a good gasoline
does it still need a filter?
is it just low octane gasoline( maybe 80 octane) or something questionable( mixed with something else)?

2) Beyneu to Aktau( ferry leaving for Baku)is brand new road?
Isn't it Atyrau?

regards

JK
0 x

Tramper

Post by Tramper »

puppywalker wrote:hi
thank you very much on the updated information.

I have 2 questions. hope you can answer them.

1 ) black market petrol in Nukus
you mention it is a good gasoline
does it still need a filter?
is it just low octane gasoline( maybe 80 octane) or something questionable( mixed with something else)?

2) Beyneu to Aktau( ferry leaving for Baku)is brand new road?
Isn't it Atyrau?

regards

JK
1) No, the black market fuel is very, very bad. It defenitely needs a filter (sand in the bottles and mixed with something) and next to that it also has a low octane level.

2) I meant Aktau, not Altyrau. Beyneu - Aktau is brand new
1 x

saydasvidanya

Post by saydasvidanya »

Can confirm the road conditions as described above, much better than expected! We were only able to find 80 octane fuel west of Samarkand, might be worth bringing an octane booster if your engine is sensitive to that.
The house fuel that we got didn't have sand in it... no filter, no problems with engine.
Also, it might be good to know there's Chaikhanas every 150 km roughly in the desert between kungrad and beyneu. Besides food, accommodation and cold beer, there's small quantities of fuel there.
1 x

roro

Post by roro »

Hi JK,
You wrote:
"the black market fuel is very, very bad. It defenitely needs a filter (sand in the bottles and mixed with something) and next to that it also has a low octane level. "
You talk about diesel or gazoline?
And how you can do except black market?
Last year, I've tried to find diesel at pump station between Bukarah, Samarcand and Tashkent or Fergana, no way?

RR.
0 x

sequel.world

Post by sequel.world »

Here are the recent prices and where for Black Market benzine I experienced.

Nukus - 4000 Som / litre - Accessed via the father of one of the Jipek Joli hotel workers - there's two Jipek Joli's I stayed at the cheaper one nearer the museum

Bukhara - 4600 Som / Litre - there was a huge shortage in the city - mega queues at the petrol stations and it ran off before the queue finished - accessed by making a friend in the queue who drove me to a black market seller - no idea where!

Samarkand - 3600 Som / Litre - from a road called navoiy shoh ko'chasi - hostel directed me here as 'the' street for black market fuel - just looked for the bottles at the side of the road.

I didn't need to use a fuel filter for any of the fuel as it was all clean octane 80.
1 x
Travelling the world over

http://www.sequel.world

:)

roro

Post by roro »

Tanks,

But did anybody have informations about diesel in thé are ?

RR.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi roro, did you read this? It is pretty recent, from http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/uzbekistan/

Diesel

This is an even bigger issue than petrol. It´s almost impossible to find diesel in Uzbekistan. There is 1 petrol station between Samarkand and Tashkent which is known to sell diesel to foreigners, 2 in Tashkent and some more in Ferghana Valley.

Tashkent:

Direction of Tezykovka Bazaar (Parkent street), follow this street straight, after 1km on the right side a small street heads for a petrol station.
Direction of Shayhontohur street, should be a main road with a lot of petrol stations.
Main conclusion: bring your own. Or don’t drive diesel in the first place. If you get stuck, apparently some taxi drivers and hotels may be able to find someone selling diesel, e.g. some diesel trucks may be willing to sell some from their tank.

In harvest season the last good petrol before you hit the border is on the black market in Nukus. Just go to any gas station and wait, someone will come to you and offer ‘benzine’ for about 4000 som a liter.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

roro

Post by roro »

Thanks Steve, I've just read it, and it seems always the same bad stuff :evil: :evil: :evil:

RR.
1 x

2R1ST

Post by 2R1ST »

Hi,
I rode my motorcycle from Aktau to Beyneu then to Uzbekistan last week. I was unsure which road from Aktau was the one to take so I went via the A33. It's a brand new road Aktau to Shetpe but still a work in progress and basically a 60km/hr zone all the way will some side tracks and lots of police. There is no sign for when you turn north towards Shetpe but they are working on an overpass bridge at the intersection. From Shetpe to Beyneu the road is rough broken for the first few km then new road all the way to Beyneu with one side track which was very rough dirt for about 5km. I met some cyclists who had ridden the P115 and they said it was good paved road all the way.

Beyneu to the Uzbekistan border is paved for a few km then rough potholed dirt which I expect would be very slippery if wet and turn to sandy powder if very dry. This 90km took me about 2hrs.

I fueled at Beyneu and had enough to get to Nukus. I had no problem in Nukus for fuel, about 3000som per litre. I then went to Khiva not via Urgench and the road was rough broken tar all the way. Benzin in Khiva is a problem, can get on black market. I got benzin close to the A380 from Urgench. Benzin seems to be a problem in Bukhara at this point.
2 x