Driving Nukus - Kungrad - Beyneu - Aktau

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
nomadichappiness

Re: Driving Nukus - Kungrad - Beyneu - Aktau

Postby nomadichappiness » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi,
We're about to drive this road from Aqtau to Nukus, and I was not aware of the petrol problem...
We have a Renault 4 from 1981 . I'm not sure what we have to do to preserve the engine from the poor quality of petrol we would find in Uzbekistan.
I guess we will load petrol bottles in KZ before leaving, but then we have not much space for it.
When you speak about having a filter, does this mean to filter before filling the tank, or a petrol filter that you install before the carburator?
For old engine, is the octane booster necesary? I don't understand much of this!
0 x

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am

Well you have to figure out which octane level your car wil run on. I think for the safe sode take anyting that is octane 91 or 92. 95 also possible but not necessary.
Maybe you can find out if it runs on 80 as well. But I think you will find higher octane. Just take some extra fuel from Beyneu, perhaps in water bottles (first dry them in sun with cap off)

Then after Beyneu is Akhzigit or so, this the last place for the border. Saves another 70km of range or so.
0 x

nomadichappiness

Postby nomadichappiness » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi,
Use the iOverlander App for petrol stations, there are now stations in all major towns showed on the app. No more black market needed I think.
We found always Ai95 which is Benzine 95. Check the app but I think there is also always a Diesel station in every major town.
Only in Urgench we filled Ai91 because for the Ai95 available we had to cross the entire town again and we did not want.
Quality seems OK, first, it comes from a petrol station, so it might be better than from cocacola bottles. Second, our old Renault 4 (4L) car did not act anything strange on the 1700km driven through Uzbekistan. Third, we didn't use more benzine that usual, actually the car was even more efficient than usual : 5,5L/100km in UZ instead of 6,8 average between France and Caspian sea. But it is maybe because of no mountains, long roads without towns, and low speed average do to poor roads...
1 x

Zapfen

Postby Zapfen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:59 pm

nomadichappiness wrote:When you speak about having a filter, does this mean to filter before filling the tank, or a petrol filter that you install before the carburator?

I second that question, what kind of fuel filter are we talking about? A replacement fuel filter for the engine or something to filter the fuel with before it's poured in the tank?
0 x

murg

Postby murg » Wed May 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Did Beyneu - Kungrad today.

Leaving Hotel Aknur at 7:30.
First 20 km are full of potholes, but a new road is under constuction.
Fuel about 60 km after departure, right side.
Good Road up to border, one 500 Meter stretch in the Sand, Road closed due to construction.

From Border Checkpoint:
Km 0 - 80 devastated pothole misery. Average Speed on a KTM Adventure with luggage about 50 km/h. Cars definetly slower.

Km 80-130: Shirt Bits of good tarmac between slightly less devastated Road.

Km 130 - about 170: good Road, but deep potholes appear Out of nowhere when you Just thought the tarmac stayes good.

! At Km 160, First building since Border in the left Side, probably a Cafe (didn't Stop).

Km 170 - Kungrad good Tarmac, Just one construction side with bad potholes about (this is a guess) 100 km before Kungrad.

Km 337. Fuel (91 octane) to your right. Old Station, one of the Guys speaks a little english.

Reached at Guest House at 18:30

About 2 hours at the Border
Maybe 90 Minutes Breaks
! Fuel consumption is maybe 10% Higher cause of Road Situation!
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

real2234

Postby real2234 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the report on the road but I still have some questions because I didn't understand one thing: on the Kazakh side how much of the road has been paved and it's it is already open for transit? About 60 km on 85? Are the remaining twenty kilometers of track right after Beyneu?

Are there problems driving on the track with a 2wd car? I read that there are stretches of sand that worry me a little.

Is it possible to travel the distance between Kungrad and Beyneu in a day or is the road on the Uzbek side so bad that you must drive at 10-20 km per hour with a normal 2wd car?

Thank you very much.
0 x

Moondusted

Postby Moondusted » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:32 am

Most of Beyneu to Uzbek border is paved now. Just the first 15-20km after Beyneu still off-road on hard sand. I think it's doable by 2WD but I ride a motorcycle so it's very different. I do see a looooot of Uzbek importers here, driving shitty 2WD's very overloaded though... so that should say something.

After the Uzbek border, I would say the first 150km aren't great, from then on it gradually improves. You can still go about 40, maybe 50km in most stretches. Me on my enduro bike I managed an average of 80km.

I did Beyneu - Nukus in 1 day, 8h riding + 1h border.

But the border will take longer for cars. You do get to cut the line as a tourist, but where the line is stuffed, I could wiggle my bike between the trucks, while a car will be stuck waiting in line...
So I think it all depends on the border how fast you can make it to Kungrad or Nukus. I'd still estimate 2 days by car.
2 x

real2234

Postby real2234 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Thank you very much Moondusted for the info, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I still have a question: I will drive through that road in the opposite direction, from Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan. Do you think that even in this case there will be a lot of overloaded uzbek cars waiting for the control or where leaving the country they don't carry so many goods? Did you notice if the situation was similar in the opposite direction?
Thanks!!
0 x