Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Post by steven »

Just got the following from our contact in uzbekistan.

Ministry has just announced that 20 August - 5 September are closed for any visits and applications, it's because of Independence Day. 20 August is actually the last day when tourists can be here.

UPDATE: Uzbekistan is NOT closed for those who already have visas. It's just for new applications, Ministry doesn't approve LOIs for new comers.
Last edited by steven on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new info
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Post by Crazydre »

I've also been informed of this. According to my own sources you'll be refused entry if trying to enter during the period, and if entering on a visa shortly before the period starts, the visa will be modified at the border so that you have to Exit by the 20th.

Sounds extreme to me - in fact I highly doubt this'd actually be enforced by border guards
0 x

uzbekbound

Post by uzbekbound »

Can you please be more clear about what this means? I am a foreign traveler who already has an Uzbekistan visa and will be flying into Tashkent on September 4. Does this impact my visit?

Thanks!
0 x

Marpa

Post by Marpa »

Hello,
We have spoken to a consulate in Tashkent. Their interpretation is the following: August 30th is the day uzbekistan celebrates 20 years of independence. Its security forces will be more vigilant during this time. They may therefore close certain land borders without warning around August 30th (a few days before and after). However you should have no problem entering by air. It appears the country will be not lock down, however some borders may be affected around august 30th.
This is the information we received, but we cannot guarantee anything of course..

Cheers
2 x

uzbekbound

Post by uzbekbound »

Thank you for the clarification!
0 x

Maxim

Post by Maxim »

We have a transit visa for Turkmenistan August 19th - 23th, from Iran to Uzbekistan...
If this is true this might become very unconvenient.
We'll follow this topic closely, and will post when we receive more info. Please do the same, thanks!
0 x

Rolof Stolk

Post by Rolof Stolk »

I wanted to enter Uzbekistan around the 20th. And leaving to Shimkent before the 30th. The embassy in Bishkek just gave my visa 4 days ago for the period of 10th of August till 4th of September. Does a closed border also means you can not exit?
0 x

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I called the Uzbekistan-Embassy (in Brussels, Belgium) today, operator answered me this about their National Day (FR>EN translated):

"Maybe. Maybe. No certainties. But don't count on getting in Uzbekistan, by road, between 25/08 and 2-3/09"

For the time being, this seems to be the most accurate information..
0 x

Maxim

Post by Maxim »

Thanks Vincent!
0 x

thomasthomas

Post by thomasthomas »

hi guyz, some update??
we are going to cross turkmeistan between the 20 and 24, thats why if u have any information or update please text me on whatsapp,
my nymber is 00 33 6 32 76 72 26,
thanks a lot,
Thomas
0 x