Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Uzbekistan closed 20 Aug - 5 Sep

Post by steven »

So I got the update:

Uzbekistan is NOT closed for those who already have visas. It's just for new applications, Ministry doesn't approve LOIs for new comers.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

olig

Post by olig »

Two days ago (Aug 11) I got my Uzbek visa in Tehran. The lady asked me to confirm my travel dates (entry date: Sept 5th). I asked her if she knew anything about our current problem, she answered "I don't know, I don't know". A few minutes later she gave me back my passport with my two-weeks visa (Sept 5th-20th).
(no LOI for me but a letter of no objections from the French Embassy in Tehran)
1 x

saydasvidanya

Post by saydasvidanya »

Got an Uzbekistan visa day before yesterday in Bishkek. I am Dutch so we had an LOI which took a long time to prepare.
We originally applied for 8-19 of august, as they couldnt make loi past the 20th, but as it was ready only the 15th, we were able to persuade the lady at the embassy to give us 12 days starting the 15th.
Enterred yesterday, Yallama border looked normal, they did not change our visa dates.
1 x

Rolof Stolk

Post by Rolof Stolk »

I got in Uzbekistan today, visum till the 4th of September. I asked the border guard about independence day, and he told me that the border is always open for foreigners, only for Uzbeks it will be closed. I asked the guard at the border with Osh Kyrgyzstan, but I think he meant for all big border passings.
0 x

Pierre C

Post by Pierre C »

Steven,
Do you have information about Pendjikent's border crossing ? It's not clear about the completion of the road, which was under construction, according to last news (2015). So it may be closed anyway, without considering independance day specific rules.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

It will be big news if the Penjikent border opens—the reason for its closure is more for political reasons than the state of the road.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

HeatherLouise

Post by HeatherLouise »

Has anyone got an update on the closed between 20th Aug & 5 Sept status? Was hoping to go across the border from Kazakhstan on the 31st Aug / 1st Sept. I'm also concerned about getting the visa ... was planning on doing this in Bishek. Advice appreciated :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi HeatherLouise, there have been some very useful updates in this thread since it started, just above your reply, by olig, saydasvidaniya and Rolof Stolk among others. Read it carefully and you will know as much as we do.

What I got from reading their posts:

Rolof Stolk's post said: If you have the visa you will not have problems to get in, the border will be open for foreigners. As Olig stated, you might not get the visa for your dates intended. As saydasvidaniya stated, you might be able to persuade the visa officer to give other dates than they wanted to give.

So first get the visa.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

HeatherLouise

Post by HeatherLouise »

Thanks Steven :)
0 x

aussiescott

Post by aussiescott »

Does anyone have any information on the consulate in Istanbul ?
Will it be open ? I have my LOI and am all ready to go.
I wont arrive to Uzbekistan till well after these dates so will this be a issue ?
Also does anyone know where the consulate is ? I went to the place from the webpage today and it was empty.
0 x