Uch Kurgan border crossing UZ-KG

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Rupert

Re: Uch Kurgan border crossing UZ-KG

Postby Rupert » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm

To answer my own question: I crossed the Izboskan border in July 2018. (My hotel in Uzbekistan had phoned someone and confirmed that the Usk-Korgan crossing was closed.) There did not seem to be any signs to the border, but you just follow the straight road, past every town along it, to the end. It is a simple crossing - just huts on both sides. Took no time at all. As a "tourist" I was rushed through ahead of the locals. No customs check on the Kyrgyz side.
On the Kyrgyz side, there is a money changer right next to the border gate, offering the standard rate, and a Megacom office just up the road (no English spoken by the Megacom man, so research in advance which plan you want).
2 x

David_Ra

Postby David_Ra » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Crossed the border at byurgendyu to izboskan on the 24th of September 2018. it was no problem at all. We were done in half an hour to an hour.
Taxi from Arslanbob to the border 1500 Kyrgyz som.
Taxi from border to andijon 80.000 Uzbek som (was hard to bargain to get less/impossible)
Taxi from andijon to margilon 70.000.
2 x

kappazeta

Postby kappazeta » Sat May 18, 2019 4:29 am

Crossed from Uzbekistan into Kyrgyzstan in Izboskan a few days ago on our bikes. Smooth and easy, maybe 30 minutes total time. No bags check in Kyrgyz side, on the Uzbek they asked if we took pictures and we showed the ones on our phone, but I think it was more out of curiosity than control. They wanted to see also our registration papers (some from hotels and b&b, one made online, they covered approximately one third of our nights in the country): 2 minutes of looking at them, no question asked, given back.

We had some Uzbek soms left and no bank in Kyrgyzstan seems to accept them, not even the first one which is maybe about 1 km from the border. No informal change either. So if you have Uzbek soms it's better to get rid of them before crossing the border.
2 x