Dostyk Crossing (Kyrgyzstan into Uzbekistan)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Dostyk Crossing (Kyrgyzstan into Uzbekistan)

Postby steven » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 am

Please read and post reports on the Dostyk (Osh-Andijan) border crossing between Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan below.

We summarize all info on the Uzbekistan border crossings and Kyrgyzstan border crossings pages.
0 x
Traveling: limited internet access 6-23 July.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

irishmcbride

Dostyk Crossing (Kyrgyzstan into Uzbekistan)

Postby irishmcbride » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Went over this border crossing today, traveling from Osh to Fergana.

Taxi to the crossing from the Biy Ordo hostel cost us 200 som.

Getting over the Kyrgyz side was easy, they waved us to the front as stamped us out after checking our Uzbek visas.

A short walk through no-man's land, and happily the Uzbek medical guy waved us past. Just as well; we were so sweaty, joke would have been on him!

Into the Uzbek passport office, and our passports were stamped after a thorough examination. After filling in the form declaring money and electronic items (no requirement to list medicines, surprisingly), we were again waved to the front to have our details entered and bags checked.

They didn't bother going through our bags, they just wanted us to put all books and drugs on the desk. They gave my ibuprofen and immodium a brief glance, but were really curious about my Point It book, they had a good time looking at each page, then let us all through with a cheery "welcome to Uzbekistan!" No requirement to look at photos on cameras or phones, except the last five or six on the camera of one of our party.

Out and into Uzbekistan, it cost four of us $20 to get a taxi into Andijon (which I'm fairly sure is a rip off), after which we got a marshrutka to Fergana for 5000 Dom each. Now we're happily sat with a beer at a cafe around the corner from Valentina's fantastic guest house!
1 x

Boocat89

Postby Boocat89 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:49 pm

I did the Uzbeksitan to Osh crossing today without any problems. We had to queue to enter Andijon province for about an hour on the road, but apart from that, the journey to the border was smooth. At the border, the security guards were interested in my medication and books, but a quick explanation was all they needed. They only checked my phone for photos, not the large camera I had in my bag. Apart from that, nothing to report!
0 x

hitchhaning

Postby hitchhaning » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Same here. Crossing from Uzbekistan to Osh, the Uzbeki guards may not be the most joyful people in the world, but they sure weren't looking to put us in any sort of trouble. All they wanted was to briefly see the medication, asked if we carried any books with us and what was the content of my laptop (didn't want to switch it on, though).

The Kyrgyz part was the most smiling border I've seen so far :)

Taxi from Andijan train station to the border cost us 20 000 som/ 5$ per person in a shared taxi. After the Kyrgyz border, pass the dozens of taxi drivers to find a marshrutka going to Osh bazaar for 10 som.
1 x

CarlosMonasterios

Postby CarlosMonasterios » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm

hitchhaning wrote:Same here. Crossing from Uzbekistan to Osh, the Uzbeki guards may not be the most joyful people in the world, but they sure weren't looking to put us in any sort of trouble. All they wanted was to briefly see the medication, asked if we carried any books with us and what was the content of my laptop (didn't want to switch it on, though).

The Kyrgyz part was the most smiling border I've seen so far :)

Taxi from Andijan train station to the border cost us 20 000 som/ 5$ per person in a shared taxi. After the Kyrgyz border, pass the dozens of taxi drivers to find a marshrutka going to Osh bazaar for 10 som.

Hi Hitchaning,

Understanding that you arrived from Kyrgzstan, would you be willing to share your itinerary? Also, would you happen to have the itinerary for Uzbekistan as well?

I will be travelling to that region next week and would definitely appreciate your advice on this matter!

Thank you :)
0 x

GiacomoLuppi

Postby GiacomoLuppi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I crossed yesterday the border from Osh to Andijon. On the kirgiz side very quickly, they made some joke in italian, smiling. The first uzbek guard, after checking my passport, told me to wait; he came outside of the cabinet...for a selfie with me :)
In the Uzbek side they checked the passport; I filled the paper for foreign currency and electronical goods. Then they put the backpack under the scanner and they asked me for books, always in a kindly way. They looked briefly at my books, watched the last pictures in the camera, asking me where I took those pictures, more curious than suspicious. In last the asked me for any medicine and my answer "I don't have medicine, I'm healthy!" was enough. Welcome to Uzbekistan!
After a quick bargain I got a ride for 25.000 uzbek som to Andijon, I was alone in the taxi
1 x

hitchhaning

Postby hitchhaning » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:19 pm

CarlosMonasterios wrote:Hi Hitchaning,

Understanding that you arrived from Kyrgzstan, would you be willing to share your itinerary? Also, would you happen to have the itinerary for Uzbekistan as well?

I will be travelling to that region next week and would definitely appreciate your advice on this matter!

Thank you :)

Hey CarlosMonasterios,
So sorry, I just saw your message now... I don't know if I can still be helpful, but in Uzbekistan we only had the 3 day transit visa, so the itinerary was: taxi from Turkmen border to Khiva and sightseeing, then to Urgench, night train to Samarkand, a long beautiful day spent there, train to Tashkent, train to Andijan, cross border with Kyrgyzstan.
About Kyrgyzstan - we were there in the middle of winter and had the best time around Issyk-Kul. We also spent some time volunteering in Jalal-Abad, and making day trips from Bishkek, where we stayed with friends. I'm not sure if you can benefit so much from this info ;)
Hope you have great travels!
0 x

pete5330

Postby pete5330 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Just crossed the border 2 days ago at the dostyk crossing with a rental car from Iron horse nomads at Bishkek. Everything worked out fine and in 3,5 hours we crossed the border. 45 dollars for importing the vehicle and that's it. Friendly border guards.
0 x

robertk1992

Postby robertk1992 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 am

I crossed the border on 11 August from Andijon (Uzbekistan) to Osh (Kyrgyzstan). It was very easy and simple!

Got the train from Tashkent to Andijon (6 hours approx) then got a taxi to the border (cars were waiting at the train station and asked if I wanted to go to the border).

At the Uzbek side of the border the guards were very friendly. Talked about Melbourne and the Australian Open. Looked through bags but didn't check very thoroughly. Didn't ask to see phones or cameras for pictures - all very civilised and easy. Kyrgz side of the border was even simpler - walked up to the guard and handed passport, he stamped and we were on our way.
1 x

Diekis

Postby Diekis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:33 am

Crossed today. My experience:

Several marhrutkas go up to the border, from Osh. 10 som.
I was there at 9:30. Already a noticeable queue, but not that bad. Kyrgyz are civilised and wait their turn. I recommend to be much earlier (more info below...).
Kyrgyz control is a breeze. Stamp and go.
Then comes the sketchy part: around three hours waiting for the Uzbek immigration, under unforgiving sun. I was lucky and joined a group of sneaky Britons who asked permission to jump the queue and entered directly. If you can or want not do that, be prepared for hell.
After stamping, the declaration of goods (do not forget to produce two identical slips).
Then bag check: easy. Just asked for books and antibiotics. Controlled in a flimsy way, just to check the box.
Outside, a sea of taxi offers. I got 10USD for a shared taxi to Ferghana.

Good luck!
2 x