Tashkent to Shymkent Crosing (Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan) by Train

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
irishmcbride

Tashkent to Shymkent Crosing (Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan) by Train

Post by irishmcbride »

The last border crossing of our trip last week, the easiest in terms of searches and questioning, by far the worst in terms of experience.

We were on the 2-night sleeper train from Nukus to Almaty.

From arriving at the Uzbek border stop to leaving the Kazakh border stop took about 4 hours in total, all in a swelteringly hot train carriage over early afternoon(temperature must haveing been topping out at 45 to 50 C).

The Uzbek side took the longest, about 2 and a half hours. What felt like every man and woman in the Uzbek Border Guard Service must have walked through the carriage without checking anything. The guy who came to take the passports dismissed my pile of carefully collected registration slips without a glance, and no-one wanted to look in our bags, at our medicines or books, or anything, really, which felt odd compared to previous crossings.

After we got our passports back and the train was finally allowed to leave, we crossed the river to the Kazakh side. This felt a lot quicker, only 90 minutes or so, and we got our passports back after they'd been stamped fairly quickly. No requirement to look in our bags. Once we got our passports back we were allowed to get off the carriage into the blissfully cool 30C outside and mill around the platform until we left.

Rolled into Almaty 24 hours later, after a comedy stop a mile or so before the Almaty-1 station, when half the train departed at some (seemingly) random siding.

If I was to do this again in the height of summer, I think I'd give serious consideration to chinning the train off at Tashkent and heading to Shymkent by road.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Tashkent to Shymkent Crosing (Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan) by Train

Post by steven »

Thanks!

Edit: for people coming here via a search engine, things have changed quite a bit since that time. See

https://caravanistan.com/transport/train/uzbekistan
https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/cen ... /transport

for the latest updates.
Last edited by steven on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ppl still finding this post through Google
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tatika

Post by Tatika »

Hi,
I hope I am right here... just a short review;
I took the train from Almaty to Taschkent some days ago. It was a nice comfortable train. The bordercrossing was very easy and we didn’t have any delays.
3 x

Sanne256

Post by Sanne256 »

Did they check any of your pictures on your phone, camera or laptop? When you crossed the border?
Tatika wrote:Hi,
I hope I am right here... just a short review;
I took the train from Almaty to Taschkent some days ago. It was a nice comfortable train. The bordercrossing was very easy and we didn’t have any delays.
0 x