Azerbaijan to Russia border crossings reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Azerbaijan to Russia

Postby steven » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 am

Please read and post reports on the Yarag-Kazmalyar – Samur and Shirvanovka - Novo-Filya border crossings between Azerbaijan and Russia below.

We summarize all info on the Azerbaijan border crossings page.

We also have a forum topic for the latest on the security situation in Chechnya and Dagestan.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

roro

Azerbaijan to Russia border crossings reports

Postby roro » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

Someyears ago, I've heard than this border crossing is not very advised , due to security reasons in Daghestan.
Please let me know if the the situation have changed.
My plan is to go from Téhéran to Astrakan with my own car.
Thanks in advance.

RR.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:28 am

I haven't been yet, planning to go in 2017. From what I have heard from the few travelers who I met who went to Dagestan, Chechnya you might have issues with the police thinking you are a spy, especially if you start poking around smaller villages.

I have met a bunch of people who drove through Chechnya and Dagestan with their own car, a few who cycled through. Never heard of issues. All the MFAs still say you should not go, but I am not expert enough to know what they base themselves on.

In short: I don't follow the news in that area, perhaps it is dangerous, but I have never heard of travelers having issues with locals, only with police.

EDIT: Found a good comparison

"It is reported that in 2012, 405 people died as a result of armed conflict in Dagestan. The connection between Dagestan and violent Islamic fundamentalism has only been strengthened by the revelation in April that Anzor and Zubeidat Tsarnaev, the parents of the alleged Boston bombers, Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, live in Makhachkala."

There have been 112 murders in Chicago this year alone. In 2015, 444 people were shot and killed. Perhaps the US State Department would be better served qualifying their "advice" with this fact.

from http://calvertjournal.com/articles/show ... y-dagestan
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

roro

Postby roro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks Steve,
I don't want to stop in Daghestan (except 1 night, may be), I just need to cross through towards Astrakan.
Does somebody knows which areas are dangerous in this province?
Some expériences?
RR.
0 x

roro

Postby roro » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 am

It seems that nobody tried this route recently.....

RR
0 x

Dracid

Postby Dracid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:00 pm

I spent a couple of days in Makhachkala and Derbent prior to crossing into Azerbaijan. I didn't have the car, I was traveling by buses and marshrutkas. I was questioned at the train station in Derbent but it was not very serious, just out of the curiosity, I suppose. I speak Russian so it helped but I wouldn't worry anyway. Nothing dangerous in my opinion.
2 x

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm

I went from Grozniy to Makhachkala to Derbent to Azerbaijan in September 2015. I walked around freely everywhere and didn't encounter any problems. I got a few looks, but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. Just some angry people pushing me and each other in front of a bank and saying (probably nasty) things in Chechen, but that had more to do with an apparent short of cash in Grozniy that day..

Anyway, the border is very easy. You take a shared taxi from Derbent and off you go. The steel gates are not very welcoming, but other than that it is ok. You have to be in a vehicle, so border marshrutki are on offer. Don't take a normal taxi for this tiny distance.

After the border on the Azeri side, getting shared taxis to Baku will be easy. To Quba it is harder, so I decided to hitchhike. It took a bit longer, but all was fine.
1 x

roro

Postby roro » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks Solstice, but my question was about crossing this border with my own car.

RR.
0 x

Solsticio

Postby Solsticio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:49 am

I suppose the only difference is that you won't have to use a marshrutka. If all your paperwork is in order, I don't think you will have a problem.
2 x

cyberol

Postby cyberol » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:21 am

Hi all,
We are thinking about leaving Georgia through Zemo Larsi/Verkhnij Lars border and try to enter South Ossetia at Nizhniy Zermag-Zemo Roka (providing we can get permissions. I did write to the [email protected], but they just said to look on their "website"...)
Anyway, the question is about then driving our camper through Chechnya, Grozny and down to Azerbaijan by the Samur border.
Steven, Roro, you guys made it around there yet?
Just wondering how safe it is after reading all these kidnapping, broken cameras, burnt cars stories...
0 x