Azerbaijan to Russia border crossings reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Azerbaijan to Russia

Postby steven » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 am

I haven't been, will try to go this year though as I hear it is much safer than it used to be. In general, don't stray too far into the mountains. Biggest issue is Russian police who assumes you are a spy and will question you. Chance of Russian army blowing you up has gotten a lot smaller, it seems. you can chat to people who live there, try couchsurfing perhaps. Really difficult to tell from a distance. But more people are going through every year. Had a few cyclists who went through Chechnya last year, all was fine, really friendly locals.

So sounds okay to me, from a distance.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

reexyyl

Postby reexyyl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 am

I crossed from Azerbaijan (Quba) to Russia (Derbent) 2 days ago.

From Quba, I got in a shared taxi to Samur for 10 manat (didn't bargain hard so you may get a better price). At the border, there is a huge queue of trucks but pedestrians or normal cars pass them. The Azeri side is quite quick, x-ray scanner for luggage. Once you have left Azerbaijan, you have to get in a marshrutka to drive you the 800 meters to Russian checkpoint (150 rubles or 5 manat). Not allowed to walk but you can try hitchhiking, I saw a local doing so. At the Russian side, you get through passport control then have to go to another building for getting stamped and then come back to the first building for luggage check. You also have to get back in the marshrutka in order to go from the checkpoint to Russian territory. From the border to Derbent it was 300 rubles for a shared taxi.
The scenery is pretty nice, with snow caped Caucasus mountains on your left side.

Instead you can also take a train for example from Xachmas to Derbent but everything was sold out when I had a look, certainly because it's summer time.

I think the crossing is safe, nothing special about it. In Dagestan, I only stayed in Derbent and Makhachkala without any problems, just noticed many policemen (and heavily armed) in Makhachkala. A local told me now it was stable compared to last years but couldn't assure it would stay that way.
3 x

roro

Postby roro » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 am

Hi,
No, I've postponed my trip there, now planned in 2018 BUT only if my Turkm transit visa is denied.
If Turkmvisa ok, I'm planning directly to Uzb, then Stan's.
RR.
0 x

Emanuele Sessa

Postby Emanuele Sessa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Hello everybody,

I crossed yesterday the border from Russia to Azerbaijan, coming from Derbent. They seem to have changed the set-up of the border, now the whole river and thus the bridge over it is on the Russian side, while the Russian and Azeri custom controls are close to each other on the other side of the river, making it very comfortable to cross the border on foot.

On the Russian side, I got a taxi from Derbent to the border and it costed me 1500 rubles, which I gladly paid to give some support to people in Daghestan who desperately need a well deserved better reputation and more revenues from tourism. The taxi driver used part of the money to buy me water and food for the border crossing, insisting for it when I was protesting. I heard about a mashrutka leaving from Derbent to Samur at 12:00, but cannot confirm since I did not take it. I did see what seemed to be many shared taxis in front of the border.

On the Azeri side, there are loads of shared taxis waiting outside the border post. I got invited by two extremely welcoming Azeri old women who I met on the queue and who waited for me outside the border post on their taxi to the bus station of Xudat, which costed in total 4 manat. There, I picked up a mashrutka to Baku for 4 manat. The other option from the border is to take a shared taxi to the bus station of Xacmaz, from which there are more mashrutkas to Baku leaving. In Xudat, there seemed to be mashrutkas also going to Quba and in case the mashrutka to Baku is not there, to Xacmaz.

Cheers,
Emanuele
1 x

Felix1993

Postby Felix1993 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I crossed from Russia to Azerbaijan, Yarag to Samur in July 2019. The crossing itself is fine, busy but not an especially long wait.

However, Yarag itself is a bit awkward to get to. There are shared taxis going to the Azerbaijan border from Pushkin Street in Derbent, but they are mostly going to the pedestrian border crossing a few miles away from Yarag, that is open to CIS nationals only. Considering no locals will have any obvious reason to go to Yarag (which is vehicles only) if they don’t have a car, you’ll be very lucky to find anyone sharing a taxi to Yarag. I ended up just renting the whole taxi (it should cost 800-1000RUB and takes 45 minutes).

Once you’re at Yarag you’ll have to pay a queued driver to take you across. Since it’s mostly cross border shuttle traders they’re happy to take you on for about 200RUB more.

On the Azerbaijani side there are cafes, money changers and buses to Baku. Getting to Quba is harder - there are no buses and taxi drivers can seriously rip you up. I paid 25 Manat to Quba which was not great but very few alternatives there.
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 am

Do you mean all cars go to Shirvanovka- Novo-Filya? Because that is a multilateral border crossing as detailed on the Azerbaijan border crossing page. I passed there last year and it is much to be preferred over Yarag https://caravanistan.com/border-crossin ... -crossings
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Kit.law.70

Re: Azerbaijan to Russia border crossings reports

Postby Kit.law.70 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:23 am

Just cross Shirvanovka-Novofilya and everything is really smooth.
I arrived at Quba bus station at 2pm and couldn't find any shared taxi heading to Samur. Taxi driver were asking for 25-40 manat per car to the border which is quite a lot.
Instead I walked to the highway and luckily someone picked me up after 10minutes,drove me directly to Sirvanovka. Locals considered Sirvanovka as a better option as Samur have too many cars.

Crossing the border was really smooth without any issue and I got a shared taxi to Derbent by 200 rubles. No marshrutka is available.
Didn't see any money exchange on both sides so be prepared.
1 x

Tartine

Re: Azerbaijan to Russia border crossings reports

Postby Tartine » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Crossed the border last month, on a train from Baku to Russia.
The border cops were a bit annoying saying only locals can travel on this train, after multiple discussions they let me trough. Polite the whole way though. Obviously already had a valid Russian visa.

In Makachkala there was a lot of security, a guy had the bad idea to take a picture of the station, he got his memory card taken off. Be careful about that, obviously it’s stupid in any country to take picture of guards/police...

By the way I find the page about train in Azerbaidjan slightly negative, I haven’t had the experience...
1 x