Khorgos border crossing Q&A (Almaty - Urumqi)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Khorgos – Khorgas border open on Saturday?

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Khorgos border crossing between Kazakhstan and China below.

We summarize all info on the Kazakhstan border crossings page.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Oakenshield

Khorgos border crossing Q&A (Almaty - Urumqi)

Post by Oakenshield »

Hi guys,

I'm currently in Almaty planning my trip through Kazahstan to China. I want to go to Khorgos (I'm on the bike) but I don't know which road to take. There are basically two options :

1) north of Lake Kapshagay (Almaty - Kapshagay - Saryozek - Altyn Emel - Zharkent - Khorgos)
2) south of the Lake Kapshagay ( Almaty - Chilik - Charyn Canyon - Zharkent Khorgos)

has anybody been to those places and can recommend any of these options? How is the road condition, access to water etc?

Thanks a lot
Oakenshield

ps Also I'm trying to find a good map of the Western China but unfortunately I could not find any decent one in Alamaty. Does anybody here who goes west have one and want to sell it or exchange for the map of Central Asia? Or maybe you know where to find one in Almaty? The "map shops" recommended by LP don't have such stuff
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Almaty - Chinese Border

Post by steven »

The southern route has more interest, villages etc.
0 x

ustrasse

Khorgos – Khorgas border open on Saturday?

Post by ustrasse »

Hello!

We're looking to cross from Kazakhstan into China via the Khorgos border. Caravanistan warns that Kazakh-Chinese borders are closed on the weekends, but someone in the comments mentioned that the border is (usually) open on Saturdays. Did a quick Google search in Russian translated into English, and found one driving forum that I *think* says the Khorgos border is open "after lunch" on Saturdays and closed on Sundays.

Does anyone have any recent information? We'd like to cross on Saturday if possible instead of waiting till Monday.

Thanks!
0 x
Route nach Unbekannte Straße
From Germany to....?
http://www.u-strasse.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I think this border should be open all the time, seeing how it is becoming a serious Shopping venue for Kazakhs. Don't go to the toilet there, though, I have a distant Family member who is doing the plumbing there...apparently it is all just facade since the president is coming soon for the Grand opening of the economic free zone.

Am eager to hear your report!
0 x

ustrasse

Post by ustrasse »

As an update, the Khorgas border was indeed open on Saturday, though not sure about the exact hours. We paid 1,500 tenge for a marshrutka that drove us from Jarkent all the way to the Chinese immigration building. People on both the Kazakh and Chinese sides were very friendly and we were the only group going through, so it was a breeze. Not sure exactly where the shopping mall is in relation to the immigration buildings, but we used the toilet on the Kazakh side and it was a bit grimy but fine. ;)

Keep up the great work, Steven! Your website was invaluable to us these past few months, and we'll definitely be back here the next time we visit Central Asia. :)
0 x
Route nach Unbekannte Straße
From Germany to....?
http://www.u-strasse.com

trevor warman

Khorgas china kazakh border crossing

Post by trevor warman »

Urumqi to Almaty......

I took a night train, no. 5815 from Wulumuchi south, to Khorgas. 157¥ hard sleeper. Dept 20.35.... arrive.. around 9am..

Short bus ride to Khorgas town. 5¥.... then walk up the road to the border. Immigration not open til 10.30. Small shacks for snacks. exiting china was easy.
Jumped on one of the long distances buses, going from Urumqi to Alamty...... paid 4500 tenge from China border post, ..

There were no 'no mans land shuttle buses'....
Entering Kazakhstan was easy and quick. 2 stamps on the immigration paper....

7 hour ride to an unknown location in Almaty.... NW of town....

Change money on the Chinese side as no money changer on Kazak side and no mini vans on the Kazak side.... so take the big bus from the china check point to Almaty

Date. 30 march 2015.... british passport traveller
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Khorgas china kazakh border crossing

Post by steven »

thank you!
0 x

trevor warman

Post by trevor warman »

Re registration...... the 2 rectangular stamps u get on the immigration slip does NOT mean u r registered..... friends got only 1, i got 2..... u must go to immigration office in Almaty...... 1 photo copy of passport needed

45 min wait..... was very busy...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

What do you mean? It has always meant this in the past. I know in Almaty they give you another blue paper. In other OVIR offices they do not give you this paper. Are you saying that the people at OVIR or at the border told you that getting 2 stamps means you did not register fully yet? This would make for a new development, since thousands of people have come through the airport (where you always get 2 stamps) and did not register further, without problem.

Thanks for further clarification.
0 x