Iraqi Kurdistan - Turkey border crossing reports

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Malcolm

Re: Iraqi Kurdistan - Turkey border crossing reports

Postby Malcolm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for the information. When you entered Kurdish Iraq, you got a 30 day permit on arrival at the border?
Maybe you didn't notice, being on a bus at night, but I was just wondering about road conditions, as I'll be cycling.
Thanks
0 x

CallumT

Postby CallumT » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:46 am

Yep, 30 days visa free on arrival at the border. Only for Iraqi Kurdistan of course though, not valid for any other region in Iraq. It's just a stamp in the passport as well, no physical permit or anything.

All the main roads in Kurdistan are very good surprisingly. The only annoying thing is the insane amount of speed bumps they use. I don't remember anything specific about the road to the border, but that probably means it was good quality like everywhere else.
1 x

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 am

Great. Thanks again for the information.
0 x

Giom

Postby Giom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Malcolm,
Have you been cycling from Turkey over Iraqi Kurdistan to Iran? Would be very interested about your story, as I would also like to cycle there!
0 x

Kasia&Victor

Postby Kasia&Victor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 am

Hey guys,

Any updates on the Iraq - Turkey border crossing? We're planning to cross it from Turkey and back in around 2 weeks. Any info will be highly appreciated!
0 x

blakep76

Postby blakep76 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:00 am

I crossed Turkey to Iraq by bus from Mardin in February this year.
The Turkish side was hideous and took 4-5 hours to get across. Very surly guards, everyone forced to wait in torrential rain with their bags at their feet in puddles and mud for 30 mins while border officials yelled at everyone, prodding them with batons, and the predominantly Kurdish passengers argued back. One man was slapped across the face by a guard. The whole bus was put through a vehicular x-ray. While we waited I was surrounded by a group of Kurdish passengers and truck drivers bitching about what they have to go through every time they cross "Now you have seen with your own eyes how Erdogan treats us!".... One of the truck drivers showing on a name list that he had been stuck in no man's land awaiting a vehicle inspection for 3 days and was scheduled to be there for another two days.
I'm not sure if this is usual, or the Turkish guards were extra crochetty and busting balls as it was a couple of days after Iraqi Kurds (and PKK, according to Ankara) had attacked a Turkish base near Dohuk in Northern Iraq.
The Iraqi side was a non-issue.... Standard land border crossing, x-ray bags, get a stamp, perhaps 30 mins to get through.
Needless to say most reports indicate crossing Turkey-Iraq is the *easy* way, which made me thankful I was flying out of Erbil rather than doing the crossing back by road.
2 x

heightwithoutflight

Postby heightwithoutflight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi there,
Any ideas about the current developent after Turkeys attack on Syrian kurds, especially around Cizre?
We are intending to hitch from Iran to Turkey through Iraqi Kurdestan in the next 3 weeks...
Love it or leave it?
Cheerio!
0 x