Kyrgyzstan roads status??: Tosor pass, Toktogul, Naryn-Jalalabad, Sary-Tash and Kochkor-Toktogul (April 2017)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Ferran

Kyrgyzstan roads status??: Tosor pass, Toktogul, Naryn-Jalalabad, Sary-Tash and Kochkor-Toktogul (April 2017)

Post by Ferran »

Hello all! This is my first post in the forums and I haven't seen any rules post around so I hope I am not doing anything wrong.

I would like to ask about the status of the following 4 roads in Kyrgyzstan:
  1. Tosor pass (Tasor to Naryn)
  2. Naryn - Jalal-Abad road
  3. Bishkek - Jalal-Abad (specially Toktogul area)
  4. Kochkor - Toktogul road
  5. Osh - Sary-Tash
I am planning a drive next week (April 2017) around those locations, and would like to see if anyone's got first-hand information!

I assume the roads between Naryn/Kochkor and Jalal-Abad without going thru the north might be rather dangerous, and I Sary-Tash might be even blocked. I hope Toktogul is drivable, though. I look forward to your advice!

Thank you so very much! :)
Ferran
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kyrgyzstan roads status??: Tosor pass, Toktogul, Naryn-Jalalabad, Sary-Tash and Kochkor-Toktogul (April 2017)

Post by steven »

Hi Ferran,

thanks for reminding me to put that on the login page: first rule is, check the website first.

http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/kyrgyzstan/

This should answer all your questions. For snow block updates you will need to ask locals.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Ferran

Re: Kyrgyzstan roads status??: Tosor pass, Toktogul, Naryn-Jalalabad, Sary-Tash and Kochkor-Toktogul (April 2017)

Post by Ferran »

Thank you steven for taking the time to reply!

Of course I read that article before posting here, that's how I found the web!! I did not even know about the beautiful Tosor pass before reading that article :)

The goal of my post was to receive locals' advice, I thought some users here might live there. I am specifically asking for snow blocks.

Cheers,
Ferran
1 x

alforgesinquietes

Post by alforgesinquietes »

hey ferran! i cannot speak for those roads specifically, but we have been cycling from bishkek to talas during the past 5 days and it has snowed twice. as temperatures are not too cold, roads don't get frozen, so there's lots of water and paddles! we did two passes over 3000m and not frozen either, only a bit dirty of mud, snow, salt...
good luck!!!
1 x
Roger & Sílvia cycling the world little by little :) http://alforgesinquietes.wordpress.com

Ferran

Post by Ferran »

OK! That's definitely useful information, thank you!!!
1 x