Abkhazia-Georgia (Inguri) border crossing Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Renangreinert

Re: Passing to Abkhazia from Enguri Border

Post by Renangreinert »

I tried to cross the border yesterday (27/02/2020). It was closed due the Coronavirus.
2 x

yuri90

Post by yuri90 »

Any updates to this border crossing with COVID? Really hoping to visit in the next 2-3 months if able. I've tried to find any news on it and seems to be non-existent.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

It's still closed for tourists and even for locals the border only opens every few weeks for a few days (so-called humanitarian corridors). As Enguri had a reputation for closing on any minor occasion that could mean a little trouble already a long time before the pandemic, I would not count on it opening for tourists any time soon.
2 x

golden_retriever

Post by golden_retriever »

FYI: On 20.07.2021 I applied for an Abkhazian visa and wanted to enter Abkhazia through the Enguri border crossing. After a second email I finally got a reply from the consular department:
Good Day!

We inform you that due to the ongoing influenza epidemic, crossing of the state border is temporarily limited. Therefore, there will be no possibility to cross it.
At the moment we do not accept any applications.

Sincerely, CD MFA RA.
Hope that the situation changes soon.
0 x

Qwasrb2

Post by Qwasrb2 »

Is the border open now?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

Not for tourists. The situation still stands that the border opens from time to time for "humanitarian" reasons for (some) locals, and there have been numerous tragic incidents with people who tried to cross secretly and drowned in the river in the past months.
0 x

adi

Post by adi »

As of March 17, 2022:

Although the application form works, I did receive the same message as golden retriver last August one day later.

Thus still no go from Georgia proper, even if vaccinated.
1 x

AdventureAttitude

April update: Passing to Abkhazia from Enguri Border

Post by AdventureAttitude »

Same here. Tried three times between December

Upon filling in the form you receive this hopeful message

“ Your application form has been received. You can expect the Clearance letter after 7 working days.

We also strongly recommend you to have Russian double or multiple entry visa. “

But then soon afterwards this message returns

“Good Day!
We inform you that due to the ongoing influenza epidemic, crossing of the state border is temporarily limited. Therefore, there will be no possibility to cross it.
At the moment we do not accept any applications.

Sincerely, CD MFA RA

--
Consular Department
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Republic of Abkhazia”

Also when trying to reply to the message the same reply about the pandemic will be answered regardless of the content of your mail.
0 x

Boobaa

Post by Boobaa »

We received the same message („Good Day!
We inform you that due to the ongoing influenza epidemic, crossing of the state border is temporarily limited. Therefore, there will be no possibility to cross it. At the moment we do not accept any applications.“) but still went to Enguri border on May 03 - just to be sure. We spoke to numerous people on- and offline and got very different information before.

Georgian border police was very nice, but wouldn’t let us pass. Even after long conversations the reason remained unclear. Security seemed to be the main issue, as „Russian soldiers would kidnap us“.

Good luck for everyone trying in the future!
0 x

Indorus

Post by Indorus »

I want to do Tranzon-Batumi-Enguri on Russian passport in October 2022
Do Georgian authorities allow Russian passport holder to cross this border? Or going through Kazbegi border crossing is the only option I have ?
Of course, this question arise only if they open the border at all
0 x