Abkhazia-Georgia (Inguri) border crossing Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Passing to Abkhazia from Enguri Border

Post by Milad »

You enter Russia only once, so you won't need a double-entry visa. Have a good explanation why you have a Russian visa ready in case the Georgian police has questions, your explanation should obviously not include crossing the border at Psou/Adler.
1 x

backpacker

Post by backpacker »

I have crossed Enguri Borderline a few days ago and the Abkhazian authorities insisted to put an entry stamp on my passport.I explained to them that I have already applied for Abkhazian visa and they replied that the visa issue is irrelevant with the passport stamping. They said it's their new policy. I went to Sokhum, I paid and took my visa and three days afterwards I crossed normally the borders and returned back to Georgia from the same place without facing any problem with my stamped passport by the Georgian police officers.
3 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

That's interesting (especially considering that they refused my request to stamp my passport last year even though they had a stamp, saying it was for locals only)! Could you post a photo of the stamp?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

https://m.kp.ru/online/news/3522233/

The border has been closed again.
2 x

Kwongeroo

Post by Kwongeroo »

Has anyone seen or heard if the border is open again? Today I have received my approval letter from the ministry, and I applied saying that I'd enter from Georgia in one week's time. I would think that if the border were closed they would have declined my request to enter from Georgia?
0 x

WitekM

Post by WitekM »

Yes, I got an e-mail from the Ministry saying that the border is temporarily closed and in the next e-mail I got information that my application has been accepted and it's recommeded to have double Russian visa. I am confused.
2 x

Undomiel

Post by Undomiel »

Hello All.

I'm planning to go to Abkhazia on August 19th. I still don't get the letter from the ministry BUT... A Georgian friend called yesterday to the border officers, they told him that to access Abkhazia, I would need a permit given by the Georgian Minister of affairs. It can only be done in Tbilisi and no possibility to make it online. I didn't found any information about it online (so, hard to confirm) and the officer didn't mention anything about the border closure. Just in case this is the phone number of the border police department (where he called) 0322 418545. I will post again if I have any news. Regards.
0 x

Peshwari

Post by Peshwari »

Hello everybody,

I applied for a visa to Abkhazia a few days ago (Aug 15th) and received a swift response saying that the border is still closed. Am not going to try my luck even if they do accept my application, I was rejected at the border once before because of an incorrect date and don't wanna have to do the walk of shame again ahha (did manage to get in the day after). Just wanted to update thread.
2 x

Momo

Post by Momo »

Applied for a permit to enter Abkhazia from Georgia and received the reply from the consulate that crossing the border at Ingur is 'temporarily impossible'. Guess I have to keep trying and hope that when it will be possible in mid October.
1 x

ET_

Post by ET_ »

Really hoping it’s reopened by October.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a driver/guide they’ve used in Abkhazia ?
0 x