Samarkand - Dushanbe (UZ to TJ) self-driving

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Samarkand - Dushanbe (UZ to TJ) self-driving

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on self-driving the border crossing between Samarkand and Dushanbe below.

We summarize all info on the Tajikistan border crossings and Uzbekistan border crossings pages.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Wheels on the run

Samarkand - Dushanbe (UZ to TJ) self-driving

Post by Wheels on the run »

I haven't seen details for making this route, so I'll post my experience.

Since Panjikent border crossing is still closed, going from UZ to TJ is shortest taking the southern route. The main route goes over Termez (start of M41). To shorten the trip for cca 150 km, you can take two shortcuts. I know taking shortcuts in this region is tricky and usually is not advised. This shortcuts I took less than a week ago by motorcycle going two up, so info is fresh.
1) Samarkand - Shahrizab - Guzar = okay road, For Uzbekistan roads, in quite good condition.
2) Boysun - Denau = First half very nice road, looks new. Last 30 km some unpaved parts, but generally decent. Very scenic, recommended!

Road from border to Dushanbe is fantastic, no potholes!

Stay safe and upright!
1 x
Croatia to Mongolia on a motorbike https://www.facebook.com/wheelsotrun/

Fra82

Re: Samarkand - Dushanbe (UZ to TJ)

Post by Fra82 »

Hi Guys,

thanks for advice. In one month I wanna do the same trip, but from italy.
Just a question... Did you arrived in Tursunzoda? Do you know if the border is opened?

Thanks!
0 x

Wheels on the run

Yep, arrived to Tursunzoda and continued to Dushanbe which is near. Border is open, it's the main one from Samarkand to Dushanbe, as Panjikent is closed.

btw. sleeping options in Denov are very poor, so if possible try to get to Dushanbe.
1 x

Fra82

Post by Fra82 »

thanks... now I can plan something :)

have you slept in a tend during your long trip? How was it? Safety?

cheers
0 x

Wheels on the run

Yes, tent sometimes. Some bikers camp almost all the time. No problems with safety, perfectly fine. Just don't camp in the middle of the city :mrgreen:
1 x

Fra82

Post by Fra82 »

sound good ! Thanks guys... if you are in Croatia when I pass it I wanna to pay you a coffè....or beeeerS !
0 x

seysearles

Post by seysearles »

Wheels on the run wrote:Yep, arrived to Tursunzoda and continued to Dushanbe which is near. Border is open, it's the main one from Samarkand to Dushanbe, as Panjikent is closed.

btw. sleeping options in Denov are very poor, so if possible try to get to Dushanbe.
Do you know why Panjikent border crossing is closed and if/when it might reopen?

It seems that this route is much more scenic than the Tursunzoda route. It is shorter also. We will be crossing between Samarkand and Dushanbe in around 2 weeks and we're hoping it will have re-opened.

Any info is appreciated.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

It has been closed for years and years because Uzbek-Tajik relations are bad and the Uzbeks like to be asses. With the regime change in Uzbekistan there were talks of improved relations, including the reintroduction of flights between the countries, but the prospect of improved relations seems to have died down. Don't expect any changes in two weeks, or even two years.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Lucky Luke

Post by Lucky Luke »

Hi Wheels on the run,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with that route. We're planning to take the same route but instead with a 4x4 - would you think that that would be equally doable? (I.e. is the road wide enough and without too deep, wide, muddy potholes?)

Thanks!
0 x