Pamir Highway security Q&A

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Pamir Highway security Q&A

Post by Milad »

Just FYI: The German ministry of foreign affairs (and probably a few other EU foreign ministrys as well, they usually coordinate these stuff although I didn't check) does now advise their citizens to avoid GBAO. This should not stop you from going there, I've been to a number of places where my MFA advises not to go and I do not consider myself a "risk-taker" or "hardcore" traveler (although it's NOT an advice to go as well, I can't give that), but note that many usual travel health insurances become void if you go there while your MFA advises not to, meaning your insurer would not pay as well if you get sick for a completely unrelated reason. It's NOT a formal travel warning though, so some insurances will remain valid, it depends on your contract.
0 x

MarieEmilie

Re: Pamir Highway security Q&A

Post by MarieEmilie »

Hi everyone !
I am in Dushanbe and want to reach Osh through the Pamir highway. My concerns are more about the safety of the road in itself in winter, I read a lot about the trip in summer but seems like not a lot of people are going in winter... If anyone has more details about it, please let me know. My plan is to take shared taxis as there is no one else to share the cost or a car with driver now. So it would be from Dushanbe to Khorog, then Khorog to Murghab and Murghab to Osh. So my question is more about the level of security regarding the driving part/car accidents than any kind of ISIS/Talibans threats.
Thank you !
Marie
0 x

kgh

Re: Pamir Highway security in winter

Post by kgh »

Well, it depends a lot on the weather of course. November is supposed to be *mostly* a dry month, but heavy snow can still come through, so keep a close eye on the forecasts.

I went through the section from Murghab to Osh on November 6th, four days ago. There had been snow a couple of days earlier. The road up to the Ak Baital pass was clear and dry. But there was some ice and old snow after that. From the Tajik border to Sary Tash there was consistently old snow and ice, with some light snow drifts here and there. The vehicle I was in didn’t have snow chains (sigh) and we actually got stuck in low drifts a couple of times and had to dig out. I’d really recommend having chains available for that stretch right now. It’s a steep mountain road in winter, so it needs the usual care, but the surface is reasonably well maintained and I wouldn’t say it was especially unsafe.

I saw very little traffic, maybe six other cars between Murghab and Sary Tash. So it’s probably still possible to get shared taxis in places like Murghab or Sary Tash, but it make take patience.
2 x

clarahanssens

Current Safety situation in GBOA?

Post by clarahanssens »

Hi everybody!

We are a couple from Belgium who wants to travel along the Pamir Highway in about 4 days, but we were wondering what the safety situation is at the moment in the GBAO region at this moment (due to the horrible events in May)?

Thank you!
Clara & Agnör
1 x

jvjjjvvv

Wakhan valley's safety at the moment (Tajik side)

Post by jvjjjvvv »

Hello all,

I will soon cycle the Pamir Highway with a friend and I was wondering if the Wakhan Valley route (always on the Tajik side) is considered safe. Just asking because I've heard different opinions since the Taliban took over. From 'it is very unsafe now, there could be crossfire, etc' to 'the Taliban are not dangerous people' (this last one, said by a non local person who lives in Afghanistan working for the Red Cross).

My guess is that cycling this Pamir Highway alternative should still be fine, but, what are your opinions?
0 x

willemspie

Re: Wakhan valley's safety at the moment (Tajik side)

Post by willemspie »

There has never been any safety issue linked to the Afghan border on the Tajik side, and that includes the Wakhan valley.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Wakhan valley's safety at the moment (Tajik side)

Post by bwv812 »

I don't think it's dangerous, but it's not quite true there have "never" been issues linked to the border. In May, for example, rockets fired from Afghanistan hit Tajikistan.

https://gandhara.rferl.org/a/afghanista ... 39638.html
1 x

Falco

Re: Current Safety situation in GBOA?

Post by Falco »

Hi Clara & Agnör,

We are in the moment in Khorugh and started with our bikes in Dushanbe. Had so far no safety problems at all.
0 x

jacopettiprosperi

Tajikistan Safety

Post by jacopettiprosperi »

Hi! I’m going to do a self drive round trip from Dushanbe to Murgab trough the Pamir and back to Dushanbe in the 2nd week of August 2024.
Reading western news and the websites of the Italian and Swiss Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tajikistan is at high risk of terror attacks, armed clashes and they advise against visiting the country, does this correspond to reality? I would like an updated and expert opinion on these topics, as I see good reviews and episodes of clashes and problems with tourists that are truly rare if not unique. Thank you
0 x

h.ahmadybirgani

Re: Tajikistan Safety

Post by h.ahmadybirgani »

Dear Friend,

Indeed, it was very safe, cute and lovely with locals and people. I did not see any problem at all in the previous summer 2023. The highest problem is alongside the River between Afghanistan and Tajikistan, as the countries have not recognized the Taliban as a government, which too many soldiers are there without any problem. Getting far from the River, everything would be safe and calm without armed forces.

Hesam/
0 x