Reports: Hairatan-Termez border crossing (UZB - Afgh)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Koen

Re: Reports: Hairatan-Termez border crossing (UZB - Afgh)

Post by Koen »

hi,

thought i was reading it wrong, but you seriously asking how to get into Afghanistan.
Think all diplomatic offices off Afghanistan in other countries are closed.
Off course you can always illegally enter, the fences don't look that high.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

yamamotoo

Post by yamamotoo »

Well, theoretically you can enter Afghanistan now, and even through Hairatan border.
However, you still need visa for that and I think no embassy will issue it now. I have a friend, who entered land border with an old visa, she received it before August and it was okay for entering. So let’s see what will be in the nearest future - as you probably know, during 1996-2001 it was okay to enter Taliban-controlled Afghanistan with both Taliban & Nothern Alliance visas with no issues. Still I think that we have to wait for visiting Afghanistan at least for a year.
2 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

This checkpoint is working now. I was there at the end of September 2021. I did not cross the border.

A look at Hairaton from Uzbekistan.

1 x

cat_hag

Re: Termiz-Hairatan border

Post by cat_hag »

jack555 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 am
Hi there,

I'm flying to Tashkent next week. I want to know whats the best way to get to Hairatan? I was wondering if the Termiz-Hairatan border is open without any problems? and how long would it take to to get a Afghan visa if I applied in Uzbekistan?
The Afghan Consulate in Tashkent is not issuing visas now.

The border crossing is open into Afghanistan - but you must have a valid visa to use it.
1 x

miguelcarasa

Uzbekistan-Afghanistan border

Post by miguelcarasa »

Hi,
Is the border Termez - Afghanistan (Mazar i Sahariff)currently open for tourists? Thx
0 x

Condor

Re: Uzbekistan-Afghanistan border

Post by Condor »

Wondering about this too. Have you learned anything? Want to know if crossing Afg-->Uzbk is an option.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Termez/Hairatan? Good luck with that. The Taliban doesn't fully control the Afghan side. I really, really suggest checking news outlets that cover this region - even just the ones that publish in English. You can see news about the recent Daesh attack.

https://eurasianet.org/perspectives-isk ... with-deeds
https://www.intellinews.com/iskp-attack ... an-242181/
0 x

Condor

Post by Condor »

Thank you, it is certainly advisable to keep up with the local news.
Am mostly curious about the Uzbk side - I am confident that my friends in Balkh can get me to the bridge, unless security concerns develop. Are the Uzbeks letting non-commercial traffic through? Where would I check on the official word?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

The State Security Services (AKA KGB) has the official word on the border crossings. But they don't have a customer service number. I have no idea how you would get the information you need aside from finding a random anecdote online.
0 x

Condor

Post by Condor »

A friend in Afg just told me that all land borders are currently closed to tourists; apparently commercial traffic is open to Pakistan, but closed last week with Iran. So no, Hairatan/Termez crossing is not feasible at this time. However, Kam Air has flights from KBL to Tashkent.

Edit: I ended up flying from KBL to Tashkent.
Last edited by Condor on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x