Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Bashmax/Marivan) crossing

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Bashmax/Marivan) crossing

Post by steven »

Please read and post reports on the Bashmakh – Penjwen border crossing between Iraq and Iran below.

We summarize all info on the Iran border crossings page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tatterdemalion

Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Bashmax/Marivan) crossing

Post by tatterdemalion »

Exiting Iraq: simple, ensure you enter the smaller exit building and within ten minutes you'll be stamped out.

Entering Iran: security checked luggage and visa, pulled out computer, got me to login and then took it away.
Once the luggage search was complete they brought me in check the computer with them, they had already tried to view pictures and videos but couldn't operate the file manager I have.
They were very serious the first five minutes until they realised I had nothing untoward on the machine or liked me - my jumping around from being stung by a wasp while my luggage was being checked seemed to have a good effect. They spent the next 40 minutes asking questions using google translate on my phone, as well as making various statements about Iran - women are respected, no Daesh in Iran, etc. The unusual questions were quite interesting - "would you betray your girlfriend?", "why are you not married yet?" but all in all no problems.
Walked off thinking that I'd completed the crossing but realised on walking into the next building they were just the security.
30 minutes wait until passport stamed, then X-ray, followed by a 20 minute check my phone's photos (initially a check for the entry stamp).
1 x

tatterdemalion

Post by tatterdemalion »

Iran re-opens border crossing with Iraqi Kurdistan region: state media

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran ... SKBN1CU0UK
2 x

Globetrotting Diana

Post by Globetrotting Diana »

Here is my report on the Bashmakh – Penjwen border-crossing. My story is quite unusual but it can give you an idea about how easy it is. https://www.theglobetrottingdetective.c ... rcrossing/
0 x

jav005

Post by jav005 »

I crossed from Iran to Iraq in late March. You should observe this:
  • Carry dinars
  • Have written down some Iraqi phone number
  • Better have got the online visa
I had nothing of the above. The man that took me to the border from Marivan insisted in my not needing dinars because I had dollars. You need the dinars for the mandatory PCR test, for a small piece of paper with a code, for the taxi to Panjwin and, if you are arriving there without a visa, for your visa on the spot. You need the telephone for the PCR.

In the Iranian side, the guard was not aware of the Iranian policy of not stamping passports, and no smart enough to guess it from my having an entry stamp on the visa sheet and none in may passport. So, he stamped both the visa sheet and the passport. I don't mind since I don't intend to travel with this passport to the USA, but if this is not your case, BE PREPARED to stretch your arms through the window at the same time you say "No, no!", in order to safeguard your passport from that stamp.

The PCR test costs 25.000 dinars if I remember correctly (a bit less than 20 $). The telephone number, I suppose it's to call you in case the test yields a positive result. A man there helped me by writing his own phone number and giving me dinars that I would pay back later, when I'd be able to exchange, and his son acted as translator. Before he offered me to lend me dinars, those in charge there finally had accepted that I would give them dollars, but they asked for fifty (I confirmed thrice with the man's son it was fifty, not fifteen). Then you must pay 5.000 more dinars for a small paper with a code that you have to take with you to the passport control. It was anything but obvious, and I'd probably have been in trouble had it not been for the helpful boy.

Finally, I should have arrived there with an e-visa acquired. I remember having read visa was not needed for the Kurdistan Region, but when the official told me that I vaguely remembered better that an e-visa was needed and very easy to get. He issued the visa there; I had to pay 75.000 dinars. He gave me a handwritten paper and told me not to forget to go to the Passport Office in Suleimani. All this in Kurdish, with the boy acting as translator. I got two stamps: the entry one an another reading VISIT / 30 DAYS. In the end I did not go to that office and, when exiting the country, I just showed my passport, not even the handwritten paper (which I had at hand just in case) and got the exit stamp without any question.

There was no place to change dinars either at the Iranian side or at the Iraqi side. Those who had helped me took me with them in the taxi to Panjwin, where I finally was able to exchange my money. Before that we had to take another car for a short drive from the border control itsleft to the place where the taxis were.

In Suleimai I asked for the passport office. Very few locals know about it, even one police had not idea, and my showing them the paper I was given at the border didn't help. Some boys said that I need no go to any office because the paper was the visa. Since it was written in Kurdish I had no idea what it contained. After many asking and being sent to the wrong place I finally got the right directions, and because the place seemed far away I had to take a taxi (you'd better do that, it is really difficult to get at walking and asking the locals if you don't know it already). As it was well into the afternoon it was closed, as I expected, but at least I had found its location. But next day was Friday, so also closed, and that day I went out of Suleimani. "I'll go to the analogous office in Erbil, which surely exists", I thought. But then on Saturday I didn't want to waste that many time in Arbil, where I was not staying for overnight, and resolved to eventually get at the border and just show the passport and the paper, and hope any issue could be solved there. When I got to the border and was heading the passport control I though it'd be cleverer not to show the handwritten paper: I had the entry stamp on my passport and the "VISA / 30 day" one, so I hoped and expected the guard would see no problem there, while if I showed the paper then he may guess I should have gone to the Passport and Residence Office. As I told, he stamped out my passport problem-less-ly. It seems hardly anybody in the country knows about the procedure I was supposed to have done.

So, the good news: You may arrive at the border without a visa, provided you have 75.000 dinars for it.
0 x