Border crossing Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan (Isfara-Batken)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
ftardim

Re: Border crossing Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan (Isfara-Batken)

Post by ftardim »

Hey guys!
I also crossed this one a week ago. The new road from Osh to Batken goes around the border with Uzbekistan and avoids all the enclaves. So no hassle at all. As far as I can tell (and as I was told in Osh), you don't even have to ask anything. Drivers now avoid the enclaves at all times.

:) full report on http://www.followoursilkroad.com/blog/k ... -conundrum
2 x

irn

Tajikistan Batken-Isfara (or other) border crossings

Post by irn »

Any recent experiences traveling the border Batken to Isfara?
I plan to stay 1.5 weeks in Kyrgyzstan after which I'd like to travel over land to Dushanbe.

All suggestions are welcome!
0 x

ico84

Re: Tajikistan Batken-Isfara (or other) border crossings

Post by ico84 »

kyrgy side very very easy

uzbek side it depends on the guards. If you r lucky 15 minutes, otherwise it could take one hour
0 x

Mattwsmith

Post by Mattwsmith »

We crossed from Batken to Isfara today. Four people (2 Australian, 1 British and 1 American) with our Australian registered vehicle.

It was very easy. Customs and immigration for the people was fast and easy, with no charges.

The vehicle paperwork took a little while, and cost 2500 som on the Kyrgyz side for an "ecological permit" and USD25 on the Tajik side for an import permit. They seemed like legit charges - I received receipts for both.

The vehicle wasn't searched, and there was no indication of anyone looking for a bribe.

All up it took us about 2 hours.
0 x

irn

Post by irn »

A bit puzzeled by the first response: Uzbek side? Isfara = Tajikistan?

Thanks for clarifying!
0 x

irn

Post by irn »

Mattwsmith wrote:We crossed from Batken to Isfara today. Four people (2 Australian, 1 British and 1 American) with our Australian registered vehicle.

It was very easy. Customs and immigration for the people was fast and easy, with no charges.

The vehicle paperwork took a little while, and cost 2500 som on the Kyrgyz side for an "ecological permit" and USD25 on the Tajik side for an import permit. They seemed like legit charges - I received receipts for both.

The vehicle wasn't searched, and there was no indication of anyone looking for a bribe.

All up it took us about 2 hours.
Did you cross the Uzbek enclave or can one bypass? Good to know in case without Uzbek visa..
0 x

Idberg

Post by Idberg »

I just crossed from Batken (Kyrgyzstan) to Isfara (Tajikistan). No problems at all, just a brief passport/visa check, nobody was interested in the luggage. Exceptionally easy for Central Asian standards!

Some remarks:
- Drivers at the bus station in Batken pretend that there are no marshrutkas going to Isfara, just chartered taxis. This is not true, but the marshrutkas do not depart from the bus station. They leave from somewhere in the town centre, in front of a government building - just ask.
- Batken is a very boring place, feels like the end of the world. Isfara is much livelier. So if chosing where to stay overnight (if needed), take Isfara.
- Uzbek exclaves are no more a problem, Kyrgyzstan has built good new roads around them. In Tajikistan, however, the road on to Khujand passes briefly again through Kyrgyzstan. This can't be avoided, but there are no checks.

Here's my detailed report:
https://passportparty.ch/2017/07/13/border-17/
1 x

robert

Post by robert »

We crossed this border in June from TJ to KG with our own car. It was quick and easy: not much traffic, no waiting time, friendly staff.

The road between Khujand and Isfara goes along the border, the southern part of the road is already on Kirgis territory. There are gas stations with prices posted in KGS, so you can save some money by refilling here. There are no checks whatsoever.

When driving from Batken to Osh, we came by the border post in Kadamjay / Pulgon (Kirgistan / Uzbekistan). It looked busy, so I guess the border is operational. However, we didn't check if tourists can pass this border.
3 x

caomin

Post by caomin »

Hi,

any new information about the border Kyr./TJ near Batken and near Isfana? Are there both open for travellers by foot nowadays?
0 x

Stan

Post by Stan »

Just an update on this border:

Easy crossing as described, but when getting the taxi from Isfara to Batken make sure it's going to Batken town, not just the Batken border - I was dropped at the border and had to get another taxi into town.

On the plus side, the shared taxi from Batken to Osh only cost 600 som. It took 4 hours as there seems to be a lot of road resurfacing and diversions at the moment.

There are ATMs and you can change money (though not Tajik somoni) in Batken town.
2 x