Travel in Chechnya & Dagestan: is it safe?

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
andrewmartin

Travel in Chechnya & Dagestan: is it safe?

Post by andrewmartin »

Great insights from everyone - many thanks. Could I ask for some more: three British lads are going to do the Mongol Rally in 2018 (July to August). Doing a lot of research at the moment and it seems there are three ways to get from the Caucausus to Uzbekistan (I) the Caspian Ferry - several routes but the most frequent seems to be Baku to Turkmenbashi but I am concerned we might waste up to a week (may be more) waiting to get on, getting stuck on board and then getting off! (ii) to the south of the Caspian via Iran which sounds interesting but restrictive perhaps in terms of where you are allowed to go and there are visa issues (first trying to get one and second, once you have it in your passport it could make life harder in the future to get into the US or (iii) drive north through the Caucasus, around the top of the Caspian Sea via Astrakhan and then drop down from west Kazakhstan into Uzbekistan - but the road after Astrakhan seem terrible whilst driving through Southern Russia seems a little unsafe - dodgy Dagestan etc unless possible to drive around that area? I know things are constantly changing but does anyone have any views on what's the best option.
0 x

hartmonster3

Re: Caspian sea ferry updates & questions

Post by hartmonster3 »

Been doing research for my own summer 2018 trip, we've decided to go the northenly route around the Caspian. Easy visa- free wise for the three of us with Israeli passports and the Dagestan part looks culturally fascinating with a few UNESCO sites. Seems worth the "dodginess" if you will. Good luck!
0 x
From Athens to Beijing coming soon on May 25th, 2018

Follow along at verynearlydisastrous.com

roro

Re: Travel in Chechnya & Dagestan: is it safe?

Post by roro »

Thanks a lot Steven for recalling these infos.
I'm planning a trip around Caspian, with my car, in case my Turkm visa is refused in Teh.
To go to central Asia.
RR.
1 x

rfoltz

Post by rfoltz »

I spent two weeks in the North Caucasus last month (Daghestan, Chechnya, and North Ossetia) and can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. Security did not seem to be an issue -- I did read in the news about two shootouts between police and "gangsters" in mountain villages in Daghestan, but that happens every day in Chicago or Rio on a much larger scale and I never saw any signs of unrest myself. I was taken by locals to many villages throughout the region and saw nothing but extraordinary hospitality and gorgeous scenery. I do think that having local contacts makes a huge difference, maybe try couchsurfing though I haven't used that site myself. There is little public transport in the mountains but if you make friends with locals they may well take a day or two off from work and drive you themselves to proudly show off their country since there are so few tourists. Failing that taxis are not very expensive. Absolutely no reason not to visit this awe-inspiring region so rich in history and cultural diversity.
2 x

roro

Post by roro »

Thanks Rfolz!
RR.
0 x

brigante32

Post by brigante32 »

I spent three weeks on North Caucasus in april and may (North Ossetia, Chechnya, Dagestan especially). Everywhere is a safe and people are awesome. Chechnya now is the safest place in Russia. Tourist are coming there not often, so you are still atraction.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I can confirm the reports above: I spent 10 days recently in Dagestan, and 3 days in Chechnya. Did not get any feeling of unsafety at any point. People are indeed fantastic. Dagestan is a wonderful place. Chechnya is a bit boring even, with many of the most interesting sights near the border and thus out of bounds for travelers.

We also went to the Pankisi Gorge in Georgia. Also very safe.

I hope to deliver some short guides to these places soon.
3 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

malawi

Post by malawi »

Hi
I am planing to transfer Dagestan (Georgia to Kazakhstan) - does anyone know if in 2019 any permit is needed or I can travel freely? I will be going with my car.

Marzena
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

steven wrote:I can confirm the reports above: I spent 10 days recently in Dagestan, and 3 days in Chechnya. Did not get any feeling of unsafety at any point. People are indeed fantastic. Dagestan is a wonderful place. Chechnya is a bit boring even, with many of the most interesting sights near the border and thus out of bounds for travelers.

We also went to the Pankisi Gorge in Georgia. Also very safe.

I hope to deliver some short guides to these places soon.
Looking forward to it! Did you happen to see a Sufi Dhikr?
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.